[ 023 ] loss of a loved one.

HEARING DAMAGE
TEEN NOLA - CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE !

HEARING DAMAGETEEN NOLA - CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE !

THE NIGHT AIR BRUSHED across her cheeks. The Rilke girl had been standing by the slightly ajar cabin door for nearly five whole minutes, just peering out at the shivering, stubborn figure of one of her best friends. Jackie could be a bitch and sure, she had betrayed Nola's trust and privacy, but that in no way meant Nola wanted the blonde to stay outside. She was sure Jackie would have come scurrying back at this point. It was officially dark out now and the fire she had started was weak.

When Natalie and Travis had finally returned to the cabin, still Javi-less, Nola was sure that Jackie would have come inside, right behind them. That the Taylor girl would have feigned having forgotten something, something she urgently needed before hiding in the corner, away from everyone else. She wasn't the outdoor type, never had been so why was she still sitting outside?

Nola let out a defeated sigh. Perhaps, later on in the night when everyone was asleep, Jackie would return to the cabin. Perhaps, she simply didn't want to face all of them again which was understandable. At least, that was what Nola had convinced herself of when she finally shut the door and backed away further inside the cabin.

Many of the girls had already gone to sleep or at least had laid their head down and closed their eyes. One person had not, though. He instead had been sitting on the floor, all the way at the back of the cabin, his back pressed against the wall and a far off look in his eye.

The brunette slowly approached the Martinez boy, being careful so as to not make a bunch of noise and wake the others. As she stepped up in front of him, the boy didn't even acknowledge her presence, didn't wander his gaze in her direction.

A sheepish smile grew upon Nola's lips as she stared down at him. "Mind if I sit?" As she spoke, she gestured to the vacant space on the floor next to the Martinez boy.

"It's your life." Was all Travis said in response to the girl. The sound of her voice managed to rouse him from his stupor and rid him of the glaze that had settled like a film over his eyes.

            "I'm sorry." Nola breathed out as she slumped down next to the boy. A loud sigh left her lips while her shoulders fell. She stared down awkwardly at her hands that lay in her lap as she continued, "What we did was—well, it was incredibly fucked up even if we were high off shrooms."

            When Travis just looked at her, not saying a word, Nola then decided that perhaps a little humour could break the ice. "You know, contrary to popular belief, I don't actually hate you enough to want you dead."