Where is my Mind?

Mike Schmidt x (fem) Reader

Mike walked into the busy mall. A usual Saturday. Everyone scurrying around trying to get to the store they wanted. The food court surprisingly wasn't as busy. It was only 9 am though.

So he clocked in and got onto his shift. Which consisted of just walking around and making sure no one was stealing. The grey 'Security' button shirt was growing a little hot.

He wished for a day without the penetrating head ache he had. He feared when he walked by people they saw right through him. A tired and dead ended man. Fighting to keep his sister and fighting even harder to convince her he was alright.

Truth be told he was far from alright. Between the threat of a court case and the fact he was behind on rent he sure as hell wasn't gonna catch a break anytime soon.

For some reason though he always had enough pocket change to visit the ice cream shop in the food court. So that's where he headed.

Was it too early for ice cream? Maybe.

Walking through the food court he made his way to the ice cream shop. Spotting the girl who always had a smile on her face. It sickened him slightly at how happy she could be. Though in a way he liked her smile.

"Hello Mike. What will it be today?" That friendly voice cooed. She always had that happy ring in her tone. "Just plain vanilla. In a cup." Mike answered pulling his wallet from his pocket. Flipping it open and going to get the cash out.

Meanwhile Y/N made the ice cream. Swirling the vanilla icecream into the cup. She's seen Mike quite a lot. He always made his way over to get an ice cream. Everyday, every week. She wondered if he had a major sweet tooth or if he never got ice cream as a kid and now that he could he'd get it everyday. Either one sounded like Mike to her. Though she barley knew him.

"Here is your plain vanilla icecream in a cup." She held out his sweet treat to him. As he held up the $2.20 to her. She took it and smiled. He always had exact change. It surprised her. Well it used too. Till he did it everyday.   

"Food courts not so busy today." Mike turned around to her. He was planning on leaving and just sitting at one of the tables. Eat his icecream and then slug around. "Yeah." The man gave a look around before debating. He didn't like talking to people.

"You ever thought about trying another flavor besides vanilla?" She asked so smoothly. So happily. So friendly. Why was she talking to him?

He looked at her. If his tired eyes didn't make her realize he didn't wanna talk his resting bitch face sure did.

She slowly looked away. She knew he didn't talk much. He didn't even chat with his work buddy much. Why would he talk to her?

She just longed to make a friend. Truth be told her and Mike were similar in that sense. She graduated high school, watched all her friends go off to some great career, and here she was. Working at an ice cream shop in a mall.

Here Mike was. Both parents dead and raising his little sister. Still holding onto the hope of  revenging his dead brother. He didn't have friends. None that knew him well at least.

"I think I'll stick to vanilla." Was all he said as he walked off.

Y/N stared off at him. He made his way to a table and sat down. Eating his icecream.

——
2 weeks
——

Perhaps it was the fact his Aunt decided to give a nasty call. Or how Max couldn't baby sit that day.  Abby was getting dressed to go with Mike to work.

His boss knew his position. So he reluctantly agreed. Abby was cheerful about getting to go. Mike was annoyed on the inside. He loved his sister but..

He only had enough pocket change for one icecream.