Chapter 1 Revised

The final bell rang out over the school signalling the end of another day, you grabbed you're well-loved backpack and sat on the bench waiting excitedly for your Papa to pick you up.

One by one your classmates all waved as they left you, promising that they would bring something to play with tomorrow. The teacher looked over at you with a sympathetic smile.

"Hey... Kiddo, do you want to go inside and play? I'm just going to quickly call your parents, ok?"

You nodded eager to continue playing.

"Kay! Thank you, Ms Evans," you ran in to pull out the legos you were playing with earlier. "Ms. Evans... don't worry if Papa can't call you back. He's SUPER busy with his secret work." You beam up at your teacher.

Ms. Evans smiled at you, phone in her hand.

"Don't worry Hunny, I'm sure he will pick up if I call him." she turned to face the wall, turning ever so often to make sure you were doing ok while you absentmindedly played with the lego.

She sighed, placed the phone down and picked it up again.

After an hour you grew bored and cleaned up while humming the clean-up song when you cleaned up your mess you walked over to her.

"Ms. Evans... I'm kinda hungry. Can I please have a snack?" you looked up pleadingly.

She looks down at you with a sad smile, "I'm sorry Kiddo, I can't it's against the rules but you can go see if the office can get you something."

You nodded your head solemnly as you pout walking to the office. The hallway was long and decorated with festive decor each class made that day. You were so happy you got to make a paper snowman that you wanted to tell your papa all about. You trudge along till you get to the office. The door loomed, 'only bad kids got sent here' you thought ' I'm not a bad kid.'

"Course you not a bad kid. Being hungry isn't a crime kiddo." a raspy voice called out.

You look around trying to see who spoke.

"Hello? W-who's there?"

"On the Counter sweetie."

You slowly got closer to the counter, and saw a small furry almost furby-like creature.

"Hello?" you hesitantly called out looking at the grey creature. Its eyes open and its impossibly wide mouth grinned at you.

"Hey Kiddo, you still hungry? I know where you can eat and no one will be upset about it."

His voice sounded harsh but you were hungry and he was so small and furry so trusting him wouldn't hurt. You nodded agreeing with the small creature.

"I am hungry... but Papa will be mad if I don't go home," you whined feeling torn.

The creature smiled wider.

"No worries I can direct you home, I'm your friend so you can trust me."

You hummed and hawed over listening to him.

"You know Papa?"

"Of course, I know your Papa. He's very busy but I think he would be so proud of your bravery if you walked home. You can be a big kid right kiddo?"

You nodded eagerly, you were brave and it would prove that you are such a big kid now.

"Okay, you can lead me home."

The creature lifted its arms, signalling for you to pick it up. I gently lift it as it points to the main office's exit.

"Onward sweet child, you won't regret trusting Mr. Widemouth."