KABANATA 8

They left the school, the dimming lights of the school signaling the end of another day. All the students went home after the festival. As they walked towards the school gate, Rosaria couldn't shake off the lingering worries entirely.

Meanwhile, in the quiet confines of Andre's room, Andre woke up in the middle of the night, gasping for breath. The weight of his pressed heavily on his chest, making each breath a struggle. He fumbled for his phone, fingers shaking as he typed a message to Rosaria.

From Andre (sent 2:13 AM):

[Nand'yan ka pa ba?]

Rosaria:

[Yuhh, akala ko'y tulog ka na. 'Bat gising ka pa?]

Andre:

[I woke up, more like I had a nightmare.]

Rosaria:

[Are you calming down? Feeling any better?]

Tinunghayan ni Andre ang mensahe sa text at nagbigay ng isang kinakabahan na buntong-hininga.

Andre

[Yeah, just a little.]

Andre left his phone unattended He held it in his shaking hands. Holding it in his trembling hands, he closed his eyes, attempting to regain composure and drift back into a peaceful sleep.

BZZZT!!

Ang telepono ni Andre ay nag-vibrate, anupasumakanya ito, at isang dumating na mensahe ang kanyang sinalubong.

Rosaria:

[Tumingin ka sa labas! > 3 <]

Andre:

[Ano?]

Andre kicked his legs out of his bed and walked over to his window.

Sa katahimikan ng gabi, si Rosaria ay nakatayo na may pulang scarf sa kanyang leeg, naka-jacket, tsinelas, at kumportableng pantalon. Tumingin siya pataas, ngumiti patungo kay Andre.

Binuksan ni Andre ang bintana ng kaunti. "Ano'ng ginagawa mo rito sa ganitong oras?"

Si Rosaria ay tumawa ng malumanay. "You said you were having a nightmare. I thought you could use some company."

"Talagang kakaiba ka, alam mo ba 'yun?"

"Eh, hindi kita maiwan mag-isa sa mga iniisip mo. Ngayon, buksan mo 'yung pinto. Malamig dito sa labas." Si Rosaria ay nanginginig, at ang kanyang hininga ay makikita sa malamig na hangin ng gabi.

Agad na binuksan ni Andre ang pinto, at pumasok si Rosaria, ang init ng kanyang kwarto ay bumabalot sa kanya. Nakaupo sila sa gilid ng kanyang kama, ang pulang scarf ngayon ay nakabalot sa kanilang dalawa.

"Paano ka nakalabas?"

"By sneaking out, duhhh~" Rosaria replied with a playful grin. "They don't pay much attention to me anyway."

Tumawa si Andre, pinahahalagahan ang kanyang malayang loob. "Fair point. Nabigla lang ako na gising ka pa."

Rosaria shrugged. "Couldn't sleep, and then your text woke me up completely."

Andre entered his room, closing the door behind him. Rosaria followed, her concern evident.

"Mauuna na akong matulog," sabi niya, na sinusubukang bawasan ang kanyang nararamdamang pag-aalala.

"Pero akala ko may masamang panaginip ka," sabi niya, ang kanyang mga mata ay nakatutok sa kanya.

"Para ba 'yun ang dahilan kung bakit andito ka?" itinaas ni Andre ang kanyang kilay.

"...Because you said you were okay. I knew you weren't."

"I see." Andre responded, his guard softening under her gaze.

"What was the dream about?" she asked

"Me lying dead, leaving you all alone. It felt like I was drowning."

Rosaria pulled herself closer to him, as she leaned her head on his shoulder.

"What're you doing?" he asked.

"Comforting?" Rosaria chuckled quietly

"Tara, manood tayo ng pelikula."

"No."

"Bakit hindi?"

"Kasi maaga pa ng umaga, at gusto ko ng makatulog." sabi niya.

A laugh escaped Rosaria. "Everything you say is so straightforward."

"That's just how I am."

As Rosaria rested against him, Andre felt a comforting warmth seeping through.

In the gentle hush, Rosaria spoke softly, "You know, you can talk to me about your nightmares or anything that bothers you."

"Nagpapasalamat ako, pero minsan mahirap ilarawan ang mga nararamdaman."

"That's okay," she reassured him, squeezing his hand gently. "Just know that I'm here for you."

"I hope you don't mind me sleeping," he said.

"Of course, I don't."

"Alright."

"Goodnight." Andre pulled the sheets around himself, settling in for a night's rest.

"Goodnight."

As the night unfolded, the room was filled with the rhythmic sound of their breathing, a peaceful cadence in the quietude. After a few hours, Andre was surprised by a gentle sensation, a tender touch that stirred him from his slumber. He opened his eyes to find Rosaria, who had shifted closer during their sleep.