【 FOUR 】

ᴍʏ ᴛʀᴏᴜʙʟᴇꜱᴏᴍᴇ ꜰᴇᴇʟɪɴɢꜱ ʀᴇɢᴀʀᴅɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇʟʟᴏʀ ᴅɪᴅ ɴᴏᴛ ɢᴏ ᴀᴡᴀʏ. Anakin had quickly calmed down, so I had rushed off to tend to Obi-Wan while he freed the Chancellor from his bonds. As I carefully extracted Obi-Wan from his position under the fallen platform, I heard the two of them discussing what Anakin had just done.

"You did well, Anakin," the Chancellor was prompting. "He was too dangerous to be kept alive."

I was proud, at least, to hear that Anakin was taking an opposite stance, admitting his wrongdoings. "Yes, but he was an unarmed prisoner," he insisted. His breath hitched, and I felt his adrenaline begin to race again. "I shouldn't have done that. It's not the Jedi way."

The Chancellor, free from his bonds, stood, brushing his arms off passively as if this were just another day for him. "It is only natural. He cut off your arm, and you wanted revenge."

"Revenge is also not the Jedi way," I reminded Palpatine from across the room, not even bothering to hide the sourness in my voice. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't coerce the boy into these dark thoughts, Chancellor." I pulled Obi-Wan into my arms, staring sorrowfully down at his face, which was pale and near lifeless. He'd taken a bad hit from Count Dooku... but nothing he couldn't recover from, I hoped. I could still feel a flicker of life in him, a force that grew stronger with every second.

I felt my hope swelling, but that was punctured almost the second I looked at the Chancellor. His eyes were narrowed in my direction, as if annoyed by my interjection. "And what would you know about resisting revenge, my dear Jedi Master?" He asked cooly. His comment took me so aback that I nearly dropped Obi-Wan. I had to strengthen my grip on him, then try and find my voice... but that attempt was futile.

How did he know of my struggles of three years ago? As far as I'd been told from Masters Windu and Yoda, that had been meant to be kept under wraps.

The Chancellor seemed to take my silence as a victory, and turned back to Anakin. "You see, Anakin? Revenge is natural, even if the Jedi don't believe in it." He cocked an eyebrow at the boy meaningfully. "It wasn't the first time. Remember what you told me about your mother and the Sand People?"

Anakin's eyes grew troubled... sad, almost.

I approached my brother, finally finding my voice. "You told him?" I asked quietly, touching his shoulder.

Anakin didn't reply.

The Chancellor cleared his throat, breaking the awkward silence. "Well, we must leave," he suggested. "Before more security droids arrive."

Anakin nodded his agreement, then turned to me. I nodded once, then adjusted my grip on Ben. "I've got him. Let's go."

The Chancellor, who had already started walking briskly away, turned around, appalled. "Master Hollbar, leave him," he said, incredulous. "Bringing him will only slow us down. We must get off the ship before it's too late."

I tried to keep my face impassive, but I'm sure my eyes hardened at the suggestion. "No," I said sharply.

"Leave him," the Chancellor replied coldly. "Or we'll never make it."

I opened my mouth to retort, but Anakin came to my defense. He touched my elbow, standing surely at my side, his eyes full of resolve as he looked at the Chancellor. "His fate will be the same as ours."

I tried to get a read on the dozens of emotions that flickered over the Chancellor's face in that moment. But they were gone almost as suddenly as they'd appeared, and he'd put a wall up, not allowing me or my prodding with the Force in at all. I was worried he would somehow refuse and convince Anakin to leave his mentor behind, but he just nodded and began rushing off again. Anakin and I exchanged confused glances, but shrugged, and raced after him. We didn't have time to ponder the Chancellor's odd behavior.