【 SEVEN 】

ᴏʙɪ-ᴡᴀɴ ᴀɴᴅ ɪ ᴅɪᴅɴ'ᴛ ʜᴇᴀʀ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ᴋᴇʀᴀ ᴏʀ ᴀɴᴀᴋɪɴ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɴɪɢʜᴛ. In fact, we were starting to get worried... especially when the report on the Outer Rim sieges began the next day and neither had shown up. We weren't expecting Kera, but Anakin, at least, was meant to be there. And despite his reputation for being chronically late, I found myself growing more and more anxious for him the more time ticked by, and the more of the report he missed.

It wasn't as if he was missing much. The room was stiflingly hot, and each speaker who got up to report was more boring and monotonous than the last. But, unfortunately for Anakin, there were several Council members here who were sure to take note of Anakin's very obvious empty seat, and that was not going to win him any favors with them. With each boring and monotonous speaker that got up, the more anxious I became, and I constantly found my eyes wandering toward the clock, wondering when this would be over, and when Anakin would deign to show up. By the time two hours had gone by, I wasn't sure if I wanted the reports to end so I could leave, or if they would continue to drone on to give Anakin time to show up. However, not long after the clock marked two hours since the start of the report, the last speaker wrapped up... yet Anakin still hadn't appeared.

I exhaled deeply through my nose and began to pack up my notes, my eyes flicking toward the clock again as I wondered what on earth could be taking Anakin so long. Unfortunately, I didn't seem to be the only one wondering about Anakin's absence; as the room of Jedi stood and began to file for the exit, Master Mundi, who had been on the Council for as long as I could remember, approached Obi-Wan with an exasperated look in his eye.

"Master Mundi," Obi-Wan greeted, bowing toward the old master.

"Master Kenobi." Mundi bowed back stiffly. His eyes flickered to me, so I cleared my throat and turned away, pretending to fiddle with my bag... so that I could hear the conversation. "I couldn't help but notice that your old apprentice was missing this morning."

My hands, rifling aimlessly through my bag, began to slow as I concentrated on Obi-Wan's response. "Yes," he said, drawing out the word as if in confusion, prompting the Jedi Master to continue.

"In fact, he's almost always late to events like these," Master Mundi continued.

Obi-Wan frowned. "I'm not sure what you want me to say-"

"He may be strong with the Force, Obi-Wan," Mundi snapped, cutting him off, "but he's entitled, arrogant, and stubborn. I know you seek to change the Council's mind about him. But as long as he continues to act like this, you won't be successful."

My eyes began to narrow. I liked Master Mundi. He was wise, and a spectacular Jedi. But just like Master Windu, he was still set in tradition... the old ways of the Jedi and the Council. And that often gave him a close-minded view on new recruits to the Order, especially those as prevalent and popular as Anakin. I didn't want to butt into his conversation with Obi-Wan, but if it came down to it, I wouldn't sit and listen as he trashed the boy I loved like a brother behind his back.

"I trust him," Obi-Wan replied calmly. "I know he has his faults-"

"Many faults," Master Mundi cut over Obi-Wan.

I couldn't hold my tongue anymore. "At least he doesn't go around bullying and spreading nasty rumors about Jedi behind his back, dividing the Order in the middle of a wartime." I tried not to look at Obi-Wan, who had turned away in amusement, and instead glared at Master Mundi, who was staring at me in shock... as if surprised that I had the guts to stand up to him. I cocked an eyebrow. "As far as faults go, I'd say that's one of the worst."