23 - Extra-Curricular Activities

"I've seen some stupid things in my time here," Senior Mattise said in an incredulous hiss. "But this may be worst. What the hell were you thinking?"

Odiye winced, the instructor's words hitting him like a knife. He wanted to argue; wanted to claim that it somehow wasn't his fault that Piper was in the academy infirmary, but he knew there was no point. He might not have been the one that put her there, but he should have stopped the fight. He should have stopped her ever going to the Sharks.

He should never have let it get that far.

"We tolerate Miss Thibault's 'club' on the basis that it can help sharpen the skills of our students, but it is not to affect their academy duties."

"I know, sir."

"If you know, then perhaps you can understand my problem here?"

Odiye nodded grimly. "I do."

"Then maybe you'd like to explain just how you let Piper almost get herself killed in a duel?"

"She was invited to the Sharks," he said, knowing how pitiful the excuse was. "Ferra challenged her, and Piper accepted. Was I supposed to restrain her? Lock her in her room?"

"It might have been preferable to what we've got instead," Mattise replied icily.

Odiye bristled. "Ferra is not someone that we can afford to get on the wrong side of. Sir, you know the kind of pull she has with the other students, especially the Sharks. If Piper backed down-,"

"I don't have time to untangle your little cliques," the instructor snapped. "Losing face is better than her getting killed. Piper Russell doesn't have the luxury of being prideful – not here. I suggest you get that message into her head, or I will do it for you." His eyes flickered briefly to the screen. "She's already struggling in her classes and now she will fall even further behind."

"I know, I know. She'll catch up, sir, I promise." He hesitated. "A few of us have been trying to help Piper outside of her classes."

"Yes, yes." A dismissive wave of the hand. "I gather until last night she'd been taking to her new amplifier quite well." Odiye blinked in surprise. Mattise allowed himself a small nod of approval. "Arrow always has had a knack for forgework, but I didn't realise how far they'd come."

"You know...?"

"Of course I know." Mattise snorted and resumed pacing, his face painted with incredulity. "Good God, Odiye, did you really think you and your little band could hide what you were doing from the entire academy?"

"Well, no, but-,"

"I'm well aware of all Miss Russell's extra-curricular activities." He sighed, stopping and leaning with his hands on the table. "I allowed it because you seemed like you were being sensible about it. I've seen her scores and I know just how unlikely it is that she's going to meet the targets on her own. But this? This is crossing the line. She is not ready to be duelling others – let alone someone as proficient as Ferra Thibault."

"I know." Odiye felt his shoulders tightening, frustration seeping through him. His implants crackled against his bones, reacting to his heightened emotions. "I tried to stop her."

"Not hard enough."

"She's angry, she's frustrated, and we've been lying to her since she came here," he shot back, his tone sharpening as he looked Mattise in the eye. "She wants to see her family."

"What she wants is not the point," the instructor snarled. "She's not going to see anyone if she gets herself killed in that damned duelling club."