38 - Message in a Bottle

"Get off me!"

The lazy shove in the back from one of the goons escorting them finally tipped Arden over the edge. Even with her wrists bound in front of her, she didn't hesitate. Kirk couldn't have stopped her even if he wanted to.

In a wild motion she straightened and flung herself backwards, swinging one narrow elbow up hard into the man's face. There was a clunk of bone on bone as she caught him square in the jaw, the force whipping his head to the side and sending him stumbling with a growl of shock.

"You stupid little bitch!"

Kirk tried to get between them, but one of the other guards, hooked an arm around his throat from behind, yanking him backwards. The thug slammed the butt of his gun into Arden's stomach, folding her to the floor in a spluttering heap. A kick sent her rolling, but through tears of pain he realised she was laughing.

"Big fucking tough guy," she cackled hysterically. "Kicking the shit out of a girl who can't fight back."

Face purpling with indignant rage, the man yanked back the firing bolt of his old-fashioned assault rifle, but before he could aim it, Nevay was at his side, her black knife pressed against his jugular.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" she hissed. "We're bringing them to Cutter, alive."

The thug froze in place for a couple of seconds, eyes bulging in surprise. Then he lowered his gun, one hand rising to indicate he understood. He didn't try to speak, not with Nevay's knife tight against his throat.

"I thought so." Nevay stepped back, shaking her head in annoyance before the stooped down and extending a hand to Arden. "You alright?"

"Oh, like you care," Arden spat, slapping Nevay's hand away. Kirk reached down instead, clasping her hands to haul her to her feet while shooting Nevay a withering look. The woman shrugged, fired another warning look at her subordinate, then motioned them all to follow.

"You okay?" Kirk whispered as they walked started walking.

Arden wheezed a breath through her teeth and nodded.

With Nevay leading the way, they clumped through the dingy metal hallways of a massive refinery complex. On the surface the thing was a forest of bulky warehouses and smog-spewing chimneys, all of it concealing a labyrinth of tunnels beneath.

The lair of Cutter Jennings.

They went down. Kirk smelled metal, smoke and unpleasant chemicals swirling through the air. They passed other groups of Jennings' crew, rough-hewn men and women in thick blast-proofed coats carrying shotguns, rifles, and newer firearms that he suspected had been destined for a corporate security force before Cutter and his people decided to liberate them.

The clang of footsteps echoed all around them. Before long he caught sight of crackling, old-fashioned computers, their bulky screens connected by snaking bundles of wiring. Cigarettes made the air thick and acrid, and he resisted the urge to cough.

Ahead of him, Nevay seemed oblivious to it all. Her blade tapped mindlessly against her thigh as she walked, leading them down, down, down...

Then they emerged.

He heard Arden's gasp and he could hardly blame her.

A huge, underground loading yard sprawled out before them, a metal cavern that groaned with thundering machines and the clamour of voices. There must've been a hundred people in here, some of them guards, but most loading heavy crates onto ramshackle, repurposed train cars. On the lower level rails vanished into dark voids.