35 - Play the Game

Piper thought it would have taken more soul searching to make this decision; that the pros and cons would have taken longer to sort out in her mind.

In reality, her decision to return to the Sharks had been an easy one.

She tried not to think about what that said about her. Given what happened last time, it looked dumb at best, suicidal at worst, but she couldn't fight the compulsion. That conversation with Ferra had cut right to her heart, manipulation or not.

I believe you have potential.

It shouldn't have meant that much, such a simple phrase, but for some reason coming from Ferra, it mattered. Everyone in the academy seemed to be shit-scared of her, and not without good reason. But she thought Piper had potential. Violent potential.

That was something Piper realised she wanted. Her whole life had been spent scrabbling around in the dirt, scared of the corporations, scared of Cutter Jennings and his scumbag thugs, scared of where her next meal might come from, scared of a world that at any moment might crush her flat like an ant.

She didn't feel scared anymore. She finally felt like if the world wanted to pick a fight, she could give it one.

And so, against what anyone would consider better judgement, Piper Russell walked back into the Sharks arena, amplifier in hand and ready to fight. The noise thundered over her again, a full house of bloodthirsty senior students sending out waves of power that echoed through the halls of AmpCore.

Odiye, Holly and Toran were waiting for her. She strode up to them, stopping and planting a hand on one cocked hip.

"Here to cheer me on?" she enquired innocently.

"Oh sure," Holly laughed, gesturing to her black academy uniform. "Under here I've got a skirt, leotard, pom-poms, the whole kit."

"Christ, I'd pay to see that," Toran chuckled, before giving Piper a nod. "Welcome back."

"Good to be here."

Odiye smiled at her, white teeth gleaming. "So you're sure about this?"

"Very sure."

"Alright then." He motioned with his head towards the crowd of students. "Let's get you signed up."

Piper allowed herself to be led into the pulsing energy of the Sharks arena. Already some prospective duellists were warming up, cracking low energy bolts off of shields, tossing chunks of plating to one and other; she saw one young woman surrounded by a cloud of icy fog that writhed and swirled like a living thing.

Her body twitched and crackled as she walked through the throngs of energy, feeling the tugs of gravity, the snarls of combustive force and the warping of the world. Mist steamed across her face and she smiled thinly. Reality was like putty in the hands of AmpCore.

Ferra was waiting at the main stage, surrounded by the usual adoring gaggle of her acolytes in the Sharks, and with two instructors standing warily off to one side. To her surprise, she recognised Senior Induction Officer Mattise, who gave her a slight nod of acknowledgement as she approached.

"Ah, if it isn't our newest shining star," Ferra crooned, loud enough to make the students around her turn and look, their eyes fixing on Piper as she walked. Some of them began exchanging hushed whispers; she saw more than one contemptuous glance float back and forth among them.

Ferra took a graceful step down from the podium. Her lithe frame was encased in a sleek black bodysuit from throat to ankle beneath her academy jacket. She folded her arms and grinned. "Welcome back, Piper."