Chapter 1- Flash to the Past

Otis Ray, Age 28, 2123.

Inside a waiting room, Otis sat on one of the many plastic armchairs pressed against the walls. The room reeked of sanitiser, and there wasn't a scuff or speck of dirt to be seen. He drummed his pen against the armrest. His eyes drifted across the empty room. The only sounds were the gentle tapping of the secretary typing away and a throat clearing from a man in the corner of the room.

His eyes flickered down to the paper on his lap attached to a clipboard. On the top of the document resembled ordinary hospital paperwork requesting your name, age, sex etc. Half the details were filled in, and the spot for sex and reason for the visit were unfilled. The only strange thing about the document is the establishment's tagline which read 'When the Past Meets the Future'.

Otis chuckled, in a time with advantaged technology, you would think they would do these forms on the tablets they had strewn all over the place. The coffee table in front of him held old devices on it to use while you wait. What was once an entertainment device to people back in the day, was now equivalent to a newspaper or magazine. Once used, tossed away and if you were courteous enough, maybe you would recycle it. He thought about vocalising that comment to the empty room but refrained.

He made eye contact with the secretary situated at the back of the room, facing him, before averting his eyes. 'Must be slow business today', he thought. It was Christmas day, after all, people had better places to be. Family to see or friends. This place was devoid of celebration, the only items of the holiday season were a Christmas garland tapped to the secretary's desk and a small Christmas tree in one of the corners. The secretary, herself had appeared as though she had never smiled in her life- most likely because she had to work on Christmas because of lonely idiots like Otis and the man.

Otis pondered over why the gentleman was there. About sixty years of age, dressed formally, unlike Otis in his shorts and button-up t-shirt. By his leg, he had a small bag from a local jewellery store on Pitt Street. Otis had been there once, when he was younger, he went there to buy an engagement ring. The man adjusted himself in the chair. Here on Christmas, must mean one thing, he had no family left. Maybe he was going to see a long-lost lover. It would explain the gift.

He had seen the well-dressed man and grew worried that he didn't dress well enough for this. They were going to vastly different events, so it shouldn't matter, but was he too casual? Could you be too casual for this? It wasn't a date or an important meeting, he was just popping in for fifteen minutes at most, who cares if he wasn't dressed like a supermodel. Only he could judge himself.

A travel consultant walked into the room, headed over to the secretary and they whispered to each other. They were too quiet for Otis to pick up their conversation.

Otis pulled his attention back to his form; he speed wrote the remaining answers before standing up abruptly and giving his paperwork back to the secretary. The woman faked a sweet smile at him before going to settle it down, briefly glancing over the document, she made a double take at the man. The woman was drawn back into her conversation with the mention of their old CEO.

Otis retook his seat, picking up one of the tablets that upon being touched, switched into a brochure of the place. Great, an advertisement. He was already here; he didn't need advertisement to use their services.

Onelife

'When the Past Meets the Future'

With the recent popularity of interdimensional travel, our founder Doctor Reggington Smythe harnessed the power of the in the fabric of time to allow individuals to cross time briefly to their desired point.