4. A Cuddle Bug And Magic Trick

Hey guys... Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

~~~~~~

23rd August, 1991
Slytherin Manor, Northern Island

Marvolo raised his eyebrows as Narcissa frowned at the parchments in her hand, staring at it as if she was confused. She had just finished casting several intensive diagnostic charms on Hadrianus on Marvolo's order.

"Is everything okay?" Hadrianus asked, noticing the look on his godmother's face. The said Healer witch looked up and smiled brilliantly, hiding her confusion, "Of course, everything is fine. Don't worry, Adrian."

"Okay," Hadrianus still looked suspicious, but let it go on their insistence. But Marvolo was not going to let it go, not when it concerned his only son. 

"Wait in my office, Narcissa."

"Yes, My Lord."

Narcissa nodded and stood after planting a goodnight kiss on Hadrianus' forehead, curtsied her Lord and left. Marvolo asked one of the House Elves to fetch Nagini, who had yet to show up from whatever research she was doing in the library after demanding to be Transfigured into her human form. Marvolo then turned to his son. 

"There's something I want you to have. First, here's your locket."

"Finally!" Hadrianus cried on seeing the Slytherin Locket, he was missing its heavy weight around his neck since father asked for it last night! He immediately made grabby hands towards it but father pulled it just out of his reach. "What?"

"What did I teach you?" Marvolo scolded the inane child, making him blush.

"Right, sorry." Hadrianus mumbled, sufficiently cowed by the gentle rebuke for forgetting one of the most important rules father has installed recently, 'Never touch a magical object without knowing its intent.' He has yet to understand every ward or magic on a magical item, but he has learned to read their intent, which was an important indicator to know whether the item was harmful or not.

Hadrianus raised his hand, concentrating, letting a tendril of his magic touch the locket, feeling the magic around it. "Okay, so aside from your cake, tracking and concealment charm, there's something new in here, and it feels...protective?"

"Not bad, you took only thirteen seconds this time! With more practice, you can do it in an instant." Marvolo smiled, looking proudly at his little mamba, oh how he has grown, "Can you tell me what type?" He could feel Hadrianus' magic poking at the locket, focused yet too young and amateur to pick up the traces. Marvolo gently gave a little push in the right direction and smiled when his son's magic swelled in happiness on finally finding out the answer.

"Is that...a warning against magic with bad intent?"

"Indeed, my son. Now, as you know, every ward needs to be charged periodically. You will have to charge it every week, let's see if you can find the wardstone."

"Umm," Hadrianus finally took the locket in his hand and opened it, eyes widening when he realised, "Is it in here?" He pointed at the seventh tiny diamond from the row of stones that now adorned the frame of a small photo of the three of them together.

Marvolo felt his lips tugging upward, "Are you telling me, or asking?"

"Telling you. It's in here," Hadrianus sounded more confident noticing his father's smile.

"Good job, my son. There you go, you've earned it." Marvolo produced a small velvet box.

Hadianus watched as his father put the box in front of him. After going through the same trials and finding out it has similar charms as it has on the locket, Hadrianus opened it to find a golden ring, set in a Celtic design triquetra, with a big emerald stone embedded in the central design, the Peverell Coat of arms.