6. The Sorting And The Slytherin Prince

"I've never been to Hogwarts this way," Hadrianus whispered, as all the first-years walked the dark and slippery road, huddled together, following Hagrid after he collected them in the station. He had to clutch Neville tightly to prevent him from falling on the slippery road. Why do they have to go through this slippery and dark road? Why did the Board of Governors not develop this road? There are so many charms to improve the road! Maybe they forgot about its existence? Hadrianus made a mental note to tell father about this one.

"It's a tradition for the firsties, I guess." Neville frowned, having similar thoughts as he clutched his best friend's hand tightly as if his life depended on it...which, kind of, was.

"So we will take the thestral carriages from next year?" Hadrianus asked quietly.

"What are thestral carriages?" Justin whispered nervously, as he walked beside Hadrianus and his friends. He hadn't left Devarsh's side ever since he found him, other than the five minutes he took to grab his Hogwarts robe from his old compartment. Even his compartment mates had followed him, all of them being muggle-borns.

"There's a horse-like creature that pulls the carriages...I'll show you later," Hadrianus whispered, glancing at the taller girl walking in front of them with her wand lit up, showing others the way. Hadrianus wondered how dark it would have been if his god mummy was not amongst them, disguised as a new student. They have three new transfer students this year, and all of them had lit up their wands to show them the way, even though it was not enough for almost fifty new students, judging by how they are huddled together. Hadrianus frowned at Hagrid, why was he only holding a lamp, instead of casting a Lumos? He is not a squib, is he? Hadrianus remembered Draco's gossip about how the groundskeeper was very poor at casting magic and wondered if it was true.

Whatever Justin was about to reply was drowned by loud 'Ooo' from their other classmates. Hadrianus' breath hitched as the narrow path opened to the great view of Hogwarts on top of a mountain, in her glory under the moonlight and starry sky, on the other side of the Black Lake. She looks...

"Gorgeous!" Neville breathed in awe, "I've been coming here for years, and she's been radiant every single time!" Hadrianus couldn't help but agree, even though he could feel the nervousness creeping inside his bones about the Sorting test. What if he fails? What if they say he's too weak for Hogwarts? He doesn't feel brave, loyal, intelligent or cunning, maybe if only there was a house for queasy boys with nerves made like the house of cards.

"No more'n four to a boat!" Hagrid called, pointing to a fleet of little boats sitting in the water by the shore. Hadrianus and Neville were followed into their boat by Theo and Zabini, Justin took the next boat with his compartment friend after ensuring they all would be together at the end. Harley got on a boat with other new students.

"Everyone in?" shouted Hagrid, who had a boat to himself. Earning positive murmurs from the several tiny boats, he nodded to himself, "Right then, FORWARD!"

The fleet of little boats moved off all at once, gliding across the huge black lake, which was as smooth as glass. Everyone was silent, staring up at the great castle overhead. It towered over them as they sailed nearer and nearer to the cliff on which it stood.

"Heads down!" yelled Hagrid as the first boats reached the cliff, they all bent their heads and the little boats carried them through a curtain of ivy that hid a wide opening in the cliff face. They were carried along a dark tunnel, which seemed to be taking them right underneath the castle until they reached a kind of underground harbour, where they clambered out onto rocks and pebbles.

They clambered up a passageway in the rock after Hagrid's lamp, coming out at last onto smooth, damp grass right in the shadow of the castle. They walked up a flight of stone steps and crowded around the huge, Oak front door.