Prologue

The moon hung low in the night sky, casting an eerie glow over the ancient ruins where the Sable Coven conducted their mystical rites. I stood at the edge of the ceremonial circle. Tall, ominous stones surrounded me, etched with cryptic symbols that seemed to pulse with an otherworldly energy. My heart pounded in my chest as the hounded figures from the Coven moved in sync and murmured arcane chants. The cloaks may have covered their face and bodies, but some were still recognizable. Like Roger Callen, the Coven leader, his slim, tall figure made him easy to spot. That would mean that Clark was the more petite figure beside him. Clark was never far from his side. He was even more sinister than Roger. A shiver runs through my body as I picture what life would be like once Clark took over the Coven. He had an unnatural fixation on me, always lurking about, watching me. 

The air was thick with incense. The musky smell invaded my nose. I fought back a sneeze; even the smallest distraction could lead to punishment. I still wear the bruises from my last infraction. I clutched a small pendant, an heirloom passed down through generations, as if seeking solace from the inexplicable pull that tugged at the core of my being. Tonight's ritual felt more powerful.

The ritual reached its crescendo, and the symbols on the ground began to glow with an ethereal light. My eyes widened as I felt a surge of power coursing through my veins. The energy seemed to come up from the earth. Fear and confusion swirled within, but an undeniable magnetism drew me closer to the symbols. I took a step-breaking formation; no one seemed to notice what was happening. I couldn't control my body; it moved on its own. I took another step and another until I crossed the circle drawn in the earth with blood.

A cold wind whispered through the ruins, blowing my hood back and stirring my dark hair. Long strains whipped around my face, obstructing my view as I stood hesitantly in the circle. The hooded figures turned their attention toward me. Their movements as one, their eyes glowed in the shadows of their hoods. The chanting intensified, and I was drawn closer to the center signal circles that intertwine, representing the dark forces that give the Coven its power.

A connection sparked within me, jolting my body, my back bending in an arch, awakening a dormant knowledge that seemed to reside in every one of my bones. Images flashed before my eyes – ancient landscapes, forgotten rituals, and faces of ancestors long gone  It was as if the symbols on the ground were a language spoken by my bloodline, etched into the very fabric of my existence  I felt tears roll down my cheeks; they hover on my chin, refusing to fall.

My fear began to transform into awe. The inexplicable pull that had haunted me for so long now felt like a reunion with a part of myself I never knew existed. The magic surged once more, bringing me down  The hard, cold ground was unforgiving as I collapsed onto my knees  I lifted my eyes to the sky, where The moon watched silently overhead as I was bound by the ancient symbols  My wrist burned as the flesh was peeled back  I saw her than in my mind  She was so young barely a teenager, hair dark like mine and the same green eyes  Her wrists are bound by a rope that rubs them raw  Her eyes were full of determination  Her pale face was streaked with dirt and wet from tears, but they didn't fall  They clung to her chin in defiance.

Her lips moved, whispering an incantation in Latin, the words resonating through the vision  The others in the scene, alarmed by her spellcasting, rushed forward  Cloaked in shadows, a man emerged, raising a sword high above his head  Time slowed as he drove the blade through the girl's chest  But not before she completed her spell; a haunting smile played upon her face, both terrifying and relieved  Her gaze met mine, those defiant green eyes locking onto my own as if transcending the boundaries of time and space  The vision lingered, leaving me suspended between worlds, bound by the ancient symbols and the shared legacy that connected us across the ages.