NINE

As I ventured into the ancient archives, the scents of aged parchment and the faint whisper of turning pages filled the air. The towering shelves of weathered tomes and dusty scrolls loomed over me, and the warm glow from dimly lit sconces cast shadows that danced across the countless volumes lining the walls. Among the shelves, the Silent Scribes moved with purpose, their flowing robes adding to the mystique of the archives. 

I approached a revered elder, a custodian of the archives, who greeted me with a knowing look. "Child of intertwined magic, you seek the answers that lie within the threads of fate," the elder intoned. She then gestured for me to follow her down a hall.  

Eventually, we stopped before a wooden door. "Your answers await," she said before leaving me to it. As I opened the door eagerly, the room revealed itself to be small and dusty. The only source of light came from a hanging chandelier made of bones. The shelves were packed with a range of books - from delicate manuscripts bound in ethereal leather to massive grimoires adorned with silver clasps. Some of the books seemed to emit a gentle hum, hinting at the magic contained within their pages. 

However, what captured my attention was an old ancient scrying mirror that shimmered with an ethereal glow. As I approached it, I was captivated by the enigmatic allure of the mystical relic. Hesitant yet resolute, I touched the surface of the mirror, and the room plunged into darkness. Moments later, the mirror flickered to life, revealing not a reflection but a vivid, immersive vision. 

The shadows whispered of an impending cataclysm, and a figure cloaked in obsidian robes stood at the center - the leader of the Sable Order, Roger. His eyes gleamed with an unnatural fervor as he chanted incantations. My breath caught as he began manipulating ancient artifacts. The symbols on my wrists pulsed with an urgent warning as if resonating with the impending danger. 

The mirror seemed to warp reality; Roger's eyes met mine through the distorted reflection, a sinister smirk playing on his lips. It was a challenge - an acknowledgment that he knew I was watching and the unique connection I shared. 

Roger sought to recreate the very magic that bound me to Tobias and Bash - the shared power. As I watched the vision in the scrying mirror, a knot of apprehension tightened in my chest.

As the vision faded, leaving me standing in the dimly lit room once more, I knew I had to find Tobias and Bash. If Tobias knew the Order was recreating the bond, then maybe he would see the danger that was coming and accept the bond.

I rushed from the room to a desperate search to find Tobias, but as I turned the corner, I found Bash leaning casually against the stone wall, his gaze fixed on the passage ahead. His presence, though nonchalant, conveyed an underlying tension that mirrored the unsettling events.

Bash," I called out, my voice cutting through the quiet corridor.

He straightened, his silver eyes meeting mine with a mix of concern and curiosity. "Lyla, everything okay? I felt your panic and was led here by our shared magic."

"I just watched a vision in the mirror. Roger's trying to recreate the bond—the magic that connects us."

Bash's eyes widened in concern, and he stepped closer, wrapping his arms around me. "What about Tobias? Does he know?"

Lyla shook her head. "Not yet. I wanted to find you first.  What do you think Roger is hoping to achieve by recreating our bond?"

Bash's expression darkened, and he sighed. "Power, most likely. The kind of power that could tip the balance of the magical world. And he's willing to exploit whatever means necessary to get it."