Distrust

When he finished eating, Alex didn't want to leave the table, he wanted to stay like this a while longer

Niffty noticed the hesitation in his eyes

"You...wanna talk a bit?, before you go to them again i mean..."

Alex smiled, he felt huge relief she was willing to spend more time with him

"Sure...sounds great..." he spoke softly, with a lovestruck stare on his eyes, though it soon faded away, and the negative thoughts came along

Alex: "I'm pathetic aren't i?"

Niffty flinched slightly at this sudden declaration, and shook her head repeatedly

Niffty: "Wha-? No!, why would you be?"

Alex: "Well...i looked so stupid, trembling like that in front of them...i felt...pathetic...like a coward"

Niffty: "..."

"Can you tell me...why were you trembling then?"

Alex kept silent for a moment

"I was scared..."

Niffty felt those words resonate within her, it reminded her of the past, a certain situation, she was lost in a forest, the police was after her...

She was scared too...

She saw that look in his eyes, the same look she had when she saw her reflection in a lake that night...

Terrified, anxious, overwhelmed...

Guilty

But unlike her, he had done nothing wrong, unlike her he wasn't guilty of anything, yet he behaved like he was...like he had committed the most atrocious crime in existence...

She was shot for her sins, the marks still on her outfit as a reminder...but him?

"Why is that pathetic?, you didn't do anything wrong"

She said with confidence in her tone, he looked over to her with sad eyes

Alex: "I already told you, i killed people before..."

Niffty: "But it wasn't on purpose!

Alex: "i know but-"

Niffty: "No!...they chased after you!"
"It wasn't your fault that you couldn't control that-...crazy stuff you have going on"

Alex: "But i still killed them!, i keep hearing screams at night, sometimes i look down and see my hands soaked in blood, i heard myself laughing while people were dying in pain"
"And yet i can't even muster the courage to speak to people i want to help?"

He griped her hand tight, his voice was cracking a lot...

She wasn't used to emotional situations, in fact, she hardly had to carefully think her words, but now...
She made sure that in this moment, she wouldn't say the wrong things....

Niffty: "i think you're putting too much on yourself, not that i know that much but...i know people out here who actively go out of their way just to see anyone suffer, just to kill someone, just to do whatever they want 'cause they got the chance"
"I mean...look at Alastor, look at me"

Alex: "You're not like him, not even close"

Niffty: "How can you be so sure of that?"

Alex: "i...just...i just know it"

He said, seeing the darkness around her soul crack even further, more light shining through the cracked estructure

"And..."