《Chapter 3》

Inaayat

I was sitting in the hall, sipping the orange juice and enjoying the pastry with Ranveer cracking his not so funny jokes, yet making me laugh. It was awkward, I must say, to pay a visit to an old friend's house, that too when you weren't in much contact with the person for a long time! But it wasn't actually a bad idea.

In an unknown place, it feels really homely, to find an old friend, relative, or even an old acquaintance whom you were once separated from in the imaginary yet visible race that each one of us are running to survive in this world. When you are surrounded with so many people all around you, you tend to wish for freedom and privacy. You wish to have solitude, you want to live alone and escape the hustle and bustle of your environment. But it is after you leave home, that you realize, life is contradictory to what you had thought! When you wish to be with your family during festivals, or share about how good or terrible your day went. You miss your mom when you are sick, you miss your dad when you have a sudden craving for outside food, only to realize that this time, it's just you who has to do it all for yourself. You can't be the same dad's princess or mom's girl once you step out of your home to start your life, on your own terms.

"Are you even listening to me Ina meena dika?" Ranveer suddenly snapped his finger in front of my face to bring me back to the world. I was literally zoned out for some time.

"Yeah.. yeah.. sorry? I was just thinking about something else". I admitted. Why to lie to him for such a small thing..

"Itna to koi apne boyfriend ke baare me naa soche.. jitna tu soch rahi.. ahem ahem.. who's the guy", he said in his all time teasing tone which resulted in a slight slap from me on his face.
(No one ever thinks about her boyfriend so much like you are thinking)

"Chup kar tu. Padhai kar kar ke baal safed ho gaye hain mere.. boyfriend kya.. koi pati bhi naa bane mera."
(Shut up. My hairs have gone white by studying and studying.. No one would even like to be my husband, leave alone boyfriend)

Even I said in a joking tone. We both were giggling and laughing when I saw aunty, Ranveer's mom coming from the temple room and stood up out of respect. She looked at me and smiled and asked me to sit down by signs. She didn't utter a single word. Looked like she was chanting some sloka. Understanding her sign, I sat back down on the sofa and continued our chit chat. But I was shocked. You know why? This was the first time I saw her smile. Or maybe I never paid much attention to her. Who cares?

"So sorry beta.. I was busy doing the evening puja and couldn't even attend you well. How are you Inaayat? I am seeing you after so long!" Aunty came back after completing her puja and sat on the sofa, being indulged in our chit chat.

"I am fine aunty. How are you?" I said.

I couldn't frame any answer for her other questions. And there were several reasons for that. First, she had always been a strict, conserved and adverse kind of person, as much as I remember. Well, I can't guarantee about my goldfish memory, considering the fact that I wasn't even much close to Ranveer, so leave alone his family!

Well, the second reason was that, after I shifted here for my college, I hadn't visited anyone. It had always been me and Sam! My best friend. I have talked to her family too, but that had always been through a video call. So, now when I am having such a public interaction, it suddenly feels so weird and new to me.

I was again busy in my thoughts. Luckily this time I came into the zone on my own and heard Ran saying about me to Aunty.

"wow Inaayat! You are a doctor! Dr. Inaayat Verma! Congratulations"

I smiled at her and replied 'thank you' with a wide smile.

"Offo... yeh dekho.. tum kab se aake bethi ho aur me.. kuchh khaane pine ka puchha hi nahi.. acha batao kya khaoge?" Aunty said in a sudden hurry!
(See..you have been sitting here for so long and me! I haven't even asked you for anything you want to eat or drink.. Now tell me, what would you eat?)