two

He had dragged her out of the castle some time ago. He had almost scared her out of her wits when he had appeared behind her, smiling widely, asking her to come along. As soon as she had agreed, he had grabbed her hand and dragged her along.

     She had let him, had struggled to keep up with him for the better part of their way. He was excited, she could tell, even though he hadn't told her what it was that had gotten him so excited. It was a surprise, he had told her.

She had followed him anyway and only grew reluctant the closer they came to the Great Lake, that eerie, murky water she always dreaded so much.

     It was deep, that lake, and not only dangerous magical beings dwelled within. The currents, professors would tell them, were just as deadly as the possibility of a mermaid latching onto one's legs to tug them down into the darkness.

Those warnings and her general dismay of deep and dark waters kept her from this lake. Yet she continued to follow, to stumble behind him, until he waded into those dark waters.

     He held her still, but she stopped, right at the edge where the grass succumbed to the water and only a bit of dry land remained between. A tree stood right at the water's edge. It had grown tall over time, and now, it offered a great shadow.

Their hands hung between them when Newt realized that she was not moving and stopped himself. As he turned to look at her, her hand slipped from his and his smile vanished. Instead, he grew worried, restless. "Are you not coming?," he asked, brows drawn together in confusion.

She doubted he hid any fears. She doubted he had any. He was such an innocent soul, she doubted he could ever understand the darkness water held for her.

     The sea, a lake, an ocean, it was enough to take her back to that night. Every rush of water, every lake, every ocean would remind her of the fact that she was a monster.

     Of the little bundle she had lost in the depths of the ocean.

Leta held her arms tight, crossed her arms in front of her own body, and hugged herself. She looked down and shook her head. "No." She knew what question would soon follow.

     He was always worried, always trudged carefully around the things he knew she didn't like. But there was a lot he didn't know. So before he could ask a question, she looked back at him and forced a small smile. "I'll watch from here," she offered.

Whatever it was that excited him, it was enough for him to let the suspect go. He smiled at her instead and only nodded before he turned his back onher and continued to wade into the water. The ground must be sticky, she thought, and she couldn't help but feel a little worry for him.

He had come here before, he had told her about it, but she was worried all the same. Those were treacherous waters. And she didn't know if she could jump in to save him if she had to.

It wasn't until he was far away, swimming by now, and began to dive, until he came back up for her the first time that Leta released the breath she hadn'trealized she'd been holding. A deep sigh left her lips as she slowly, carefully lowered herself on the patch of grass beneath her. She tucked her legs in close to herself, buried one of her hands in the soft grass as she watched him.

He came up for air, then dove back down again. He was a good swimmer, she realized. He could handle himself surely. Still, the splashing of water, the currents he created, it caused thoughts to flush her mind.

She averted her gaze, chose to watch the patch of grass beneath her robe instead. Here, she was safe. It was Newt she worried about. Pictures filled her head. Pictures of Newt sinking, gasping for air, reaching out with both hands, pleading silently, screaming for help with one last breath.