three

The last year had been the worst for her. She been alone. She had been before, but losing Newt meant more to her than she ever imagined possible. So she was happy that it would come to an end today as she stood inline with her fellow seventh year graduates.

     Far away, closer to the end of the Great Hall than to the stage that had been set up in place of the professor's table stood Newt and his family.

     He was fumbling with his thumbs, clenching and unclenching both fists. His brother stood beside him, arms crossed. Newt knew he had taken a liking to Leta, just like the rest of his family had. It was why his parents had come along, too.

     Their eyes were collectively glued to the stage, and Theseus swore he could see his little brother's jaw drop when she came into view. Her hair was in a half-up, one that must have taken her some time. Her dress was of black lace, only held up by thin straps.

     She held her skirts in one hand as she climbed the stairs and kept her head down, carefully watching her every step in these high heels she wore. Newt wondered if those were comfortable. He doubted it.

     When she reached the top of the stairs, she rose her head and watched the headmaster. He waited for her in the middle of the stage, and she approached him hurriedly.

     Newt even swore he saw her smile. But, deep inside, he knew it was a fake smile. He knew a true smile of Leta's when he saw it.

     She stared down at her slim gown instead, brows pulled together in concentration as she rearranged the skirts she had crammed in her left hand. The skirts fell freely around her legs now, but hugged her curves wonderfully, she found.

     Newt could only stare at her in awe from across the Great Hall.

     Beside him, even his brother couldn't help but stare, and behind them, he just knew his mother was smiling proudly, his father was nodding in silent approvement. They liked her. They had ever since she had opened up to them.

     Once she had sorted out her own skirts, she lifted her head and scanned the crowd. She didn't expect to find familiar faces, but she did as her eyes found four familiar faces at the other end of the hall.

     It was Newt, and it was Theseus and their parents. They had come here, even though her actions had gotten their youngest son expelled from Hogwarts.

     Newt had come.

     Leta swore her heart dropped when she saw him look–no, stare–at her. He had grown over the past year, taller, more mature in a way. She liked it. And she had missed him. She wondered if he had, too. Wondered if he regretted taking the blame for her jarvey accident.

     But when he smiled at her from across the Great Hall, all those thoughts were sucked from her head, and all that remained was joy. Pure bliss. Happiness to see him again. So she smiled back at him.

     His heart took a leap, and, for that small moment, even the discomfort ofso many people crammed into one space vanished.

     He had spent the better part of the year in this forest, in that old cottage. It provided only the bare necessities, but it was enough for him. He spent most of his time outside anyway, no matter the weather. This evening was only spent inside of his own four walls because he had found new creatures he had never seen before.

     He had spent the past hours going through every record he could find,had added notes of his own to each of the texts, books and scrolls he had found in the limited space of his home. He had worked in absolute silence, in absolute concentration, and he hadn't let his attention divert.