Chapter 11

"So I guess Regina is going through with this, huh?" John asked, sitting in the van with Robin outside Mist Haven as they watched workers set up for Keith and Regina's Christmas Eve wedding in a few hours.

"Yes," Robin replied, not sure if he was angry or disappointed. "I guess she choose the money."

John reached out and squeezed his shoulder. "I'm sorry, man."

Robin sighed. "Thanks."

"Do you want to go?" John asked. "Will and I can handle this and make up some excuse for you."

While John's offer was tempting, Robin just shook his head. "I'm going to see this through to the end. Maybe she'll change her mind, right? Or maybe Keith will. And if they don't, at least I'll have that closure."

John nodded. "Right."

"Okay," Robin said, taking a deep breath. He held it for a count of ten before slowly letting it out. "Then let's do this."

They both opened their doors and stepped out. Will greeted them with a solemn look, squeezing Robin's shoulder. "You good?"

"I am," Robin said. He paused before saying: "Or I will be."

Will nodded. "Alright. Well, the chairs are all set up and the arch is in place. The trees are all decorated as well. Everything seems to be in order for the ceremony."

"Good," Robin replied, pleased with that. "When are the musicians due to arrive?"

"They're here and already set up. They should begin warming up soon so they are ready for when the guests arrive," Will said.

Robin nodded. "And the food?"

"Caterer just texted that they are about five minutes out," John said. "Everything seems to running on schedule – maybe even ahead of it."

"Good," Robin replied, pleased with all the vendors. "Then I guess I'll go check on the groom."

John frowned. "You sure you want to do that? Will or I could check on Keith for you. We have Mulan here today so she's handling everything with the bride so you don't have to deal with Regina either. You can just stay in the background running things and never have to talk to them."

It was a tempting offer. And maybe a few weeks ago, Robin would've taken it. Now, though, he was done being a passive player in his own life. He was going to take the initiative and start using his voice.

He had already lost too much because he hadn't used it before.

"No, I'll be able to check on my cousin," he said. "I want to talk to him before the wedding."

"Alright," Will said, sharing a look with John. "Let's just get your microphone on you, though. Just in case you need backup."

Robin nodded, knowing that was a good call. He doubted Keith would cause much trouble that day but he didn't want to risk it. It would be reassuring to know that John and Will would be able to come help him if needed.

Once his mic was on, Robin took a deep breath. "Here I go. Wish me luck," he said.

"Good luck, mate," John replied, squeezing his shoulder. "Maybe you'll get through to Keith and he'll learn what a conscience is."

"Yeah, and maybe pigs will fly," Will said, snorting. John shot him a look but Will didn't appear phased. "Keith has no conscience. But Robin will at least be able to walk out of today with a clear one."

Robin nodded, knowing that was true. "I will. After that, all of us will have to deal with the consequences of our own decisions."

He then took a deep breath. "Okay, where have we put my cousin?"