Prologue

"Would you stop pouting?" Derek Hale asked his younger sister whom, despite his glares, had her feet up on the dashboard and was glaring moodily out the window

"I'm not pouting." Sloane Hale said to her brother with a defiant glare as they both tensed at the familiar feeling of Beacon Hills powerful supernatural energy wash over them.

Though, most supernaturals wouldn't even sense it, the Hales were different. They were born here in Beacon Hills for generations and it just seemed to run through them. Which made sense, since once upon a time they had been the protectors of Beacon Hills.

Technically, they still were. Despite the fact they had left six years ago and never looked back.

"Then what do you call it?" Derek asked as they passed the Welcome to Beacon Hills sign.

"Teenage angst." Sloane said.

"Another word for pouting." Derek said as Sloane rolled her eyes.

Sloane sighed as she looked out the window at the familiar surroundings that she associated with her home. Because, despite not living here for six years, and hating the very thought of this place, it was still home.

Sloane and her siblings: Laura, Gideon, Derek, and Cora all grew up in the Beacon Hills Preserves. Hell, Sloane felt like she and her siblings knew how to navigate the forest with their eyes closed with how often they ran around it. Their family owned the land their home was built on and it was inside the preserves and reminded Sloane of a movie, a large beautiful estate surrounded by lush forest.

The smell of the trees were still the same Earthy scent that she associated with her family.

And, despite it being six years, everything seemed to look the same, as if time stood still while the Hale siblings were away.

Sloane, Laura, and Derek left Beacon Hills after the fire that killed their parents, Gideon, Cora, their aunt, and their uncle and his family-a wife and three kids. There were only two survivors, Sloane, who couldn't remember how she escaped the flames and their uncle, their mother's youngest brother, Peter. Though, Sloane had some scars from the flames on her arms and legs, she was relatively unharmed. Peter wasn't that lucky. He was burned so doctors didn't know if he would make it. But, he did, but he was basically a vegetable now.

A shell of who he was.

She felt tears well up in her eyes as she thought of her family. They were never to far from her mind, but in New York it was easier to push those memories away. But, being here in Beacon Hills it was different.

She remembered her mom and dad; Talia Hale and Alexander Sloan, how in love the two of them had been. They were truly soulmates. Sloane remembered her mother telling her their love story as a bed time story for years, in her opinion it was the greatest fairytale of all, and it was made even better because her mom and dad were the prince and princess. Her father the dashing wizard prince whom fell in love with the beautiful werewolf princess.