Overworked

Summer had arrived. It hadn't rained for a time. With the rising heat, it would be a matter of time until, the lush green grass turns a dry brown. Beaches were frequently visited with everyone keen to cool down. The Skyline was no exception. Of course with it being summer, it meant that schools were out for the time being. More families came to the Skyline, making it that much busier. No one seemed to be catching a break until the park closed, making sure that the guests were happy and ran as smoothly as they could. It even kept Misty out of trouble. To some extent...

Everything was just running on overtime. Needless to say, once the day was done, everyone felt relieved. Finally, after a long hot day, the Skyline was closed for the evening and all the staff went home to rest. The Skyline Gang took full advantage of it. They started to relax a little. After a nutritious dinner, they all decided to go to bed early. They knew that they'll be working hard again in the morning. As soon as their exhausted bodies hit the soft mattresses, they were dead to the works almost instantly. Much to their own form of relief.

However, not everyone was that peaceful.

It was quite a warm night that night. It was near the height of summer. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a cool night for the last few days. So when Sprout woke up suddenly, and noticed that he had a dry throat, he blamed the heat. He wasn't even under the covers and his window was wide open. He grumbled and decided to get a drink of water with some ice cubes. That should help to cool him down a little.

Once he opened the door, he stopped short in surprise. Misty was lurking about in the hallway. Her stance made it seem like she was attempting to creep somewhere. She had this look on her face that said that she was caught. Sprout frowned a little. He knew that sometimes Misty stayed up late, but ever since work started to become more intense, she crashed almost as easily as everyone else. She's up to something. Sprout might not be the smartest in the Gang, but he's not that stupid.

"Sprout. What a surprise!" Misty grinned, the previous look on her face being wiped away. "You had a nightmare or something?"

"What?! No!" Sprout exclaimed as quietly as he could.

"Then what's going on?" Misty probed

"Just getting a glass of water. It's quite warm tonight." Sprout shrugged.

"Now that you mention it, it kind of is." Misty sighed, fanning herself a little with her hand.

"So what are you doing awake then?" It was Sprout's time to probe. If Misty was up to something, he'll try to stop it. The last thing everyone needs is to be kept up late.

"You know I'm a night owl, Sprout." Misty smirked.

"You're not going to play a trick on Candi again, are you? Last time she wouldn't go back to sleep at all!" Sprout accused, crossing his arms.

"How dare you accuse-" Misty started firing back. She couldn't finish her statement.

There was a high pitched sound. Following that was the sound of something heavy hitting the ground. Both sounds came from downstairs. They were so abrupt that the two members of the Gang were halted in their argument. There seemed to be something in resemblance to an echo. Faint sounds of Rainbow moving around could be heard a few seconds later.

"What was that? Glass?" Sprout asked, referring to the first sound.

"Maybe, but what was that thud?" Misty asked back, highlighting the second sound. A break in? Someone throwing a rock at the house out of spite? It wouldn't be that surprising since some people who were devoted to the old Skyline Gang weren't too fond of "some teenagers". Sprout and Misty didn't dwell on it much as Rainbow started whining. After five seconds, he started barking loudly. Sprout moved first, thundering down the stairs. Misty shrugged and followed after him. Rainbow continued barking from the bottom of the staircase, pacing back and forth on the spot. With how frantic he was being, there was no doubt that everyone else was now waking up.