Fears: Bud

Bud's emotions always became complicated to him everyday. He doesn't display them outwardly that often. Usually when he does it's for a show or when he's expressing himself in front of his friends. Social interactions can confuse him too. He'd often said the wrong thing or get the topic wrong if he happened to join in a conversation halfway through. Back home, people always had a problem with it. That's why he usually wrapped himself up in a book and studying, so he can forget about what people said about him. But even that wasn't much of an escape. Kids at school always took a jab at him. From taunting him with words to physically tormenting him. He recalled one bully snatching his glasses off his face and breaking them. Whenever he tried to offer any help with studies, they'd turn him away in the harshest ways. Sometimes even bringing his autism into the topic and that he should be stupid. He had tried telling adults, all his life, but it fell on deaf ears. No one would listen to him.

Those memories hurt, but he didn't have to think about them. Not when he was surrounded by his friends. They never taunted him (apart from Misty, but he's used to her behaviour by now and he ignored it most of the time). Whenever he said something super smart, they would listen and if they needed further explaining, they'd politely ask him to clarify. Every new gadget or app he'd create, they'd jump on board to help test them out with him. They treated him as an equal despite his flaws. He had his home and safe place here. No one scorned him for who he is. He even connected with kids on the spectrum and consulted with parents that had concerns about the possibility of their child being on the spectrum and what they should do going forward. It felt nice, being on equal ground to everyone else.

"You're a freak, you know that right?"

"I beg your pardon?" Bud responded, turning around to where the voice came from. Behind him was someone a little older than him. He seemed to be on his own, which isn't that unusual especially on a quiet day. However, since Bud was cut off from his friends, it honestly felt suspicious to him. There was also an odd tone in this guy's voice as well. Something that reminded him of when he was back at school. No! He's not there! He's in the Skyline, his safe space. He's happy here. People liked him here. So why was he receiving some kind of dread here?

"I'm saying that you're a freak." The teen repeated, brow furrowing a little. Irritation. "You're just pretending to be smart so that you can feel better about yourself."

"That's very controversial." Bud observed. This guy was an idiot. Sure some of the acting that he and the others do on stage are just that, an act. But his smarts are far from that. He worked hard to be who he is right now. Why should he fake that for nothing? He'd be lying to himself. "I don't need to pretend to be anything."

"Then tell me if you're so smart, then why are you autistic?" The teen responded back. His lips curled upwards slightly. Smug, and believing that he has a leg to stand on. That couldn't be further from the truth. Did this guy even have an education? He didn't seem like he did. Autism is unpredictable. It can manifest for anyone at any stage in life. It affects everyone differently. ADHD, dyslexia, dyspraxia, OCD, and even insomnia. It's a spectrum. No one knows the cause of it (maybe Bud should help with finding the answer when he gets older). So what this moron was saying made no sense. He clearly didn't think about his argument. He just thought of a way to target Bud without a stable plan.

"What you're saying is ridiculous." Bud sighed hopelessly. He didn't want to but he might as well try to educate the idiot before something took a bad turn. "Just because I'm different from you, doesn't mean that I can't be intelligent."

"Don't you get it? I'm just stating facts here. Or are you too dumb to realise that?" The teen spat, getting right into Bud's face. Bud grimaced as he could smell the idiot's foul breath. Has this guy ever heard of oral hygiene? Or used a toothbrush? It doesn't matter. Bud decided that there was no point in believing that he can change the situation. The teen had made up his mind and refused to listen. Bud turned on his heels and began walking away. He had something to work on anyway and he's wasted enough time. "You act as if you don't care! I bet you've never noticed that you have been bullied or something like that?"

Skyline Gang One Shots and Short Storiesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें