Chapter 1: The twins who lived

Nobody's pov

The wizarding world was absolutely ecstatic. Voldemort had been killed. By two babies. I know. Unbelievable.

These two little babies were called Harry and Avery Potter. These twins survived the killing curse and are now famous across all of the wizarding world.

That day a cat appeared at Privet Drive. It was acting strangely. Oddly human-like. Vernon Dursley had noticed this and was staring at it through the window while trying to go to sleep.

An old man with a long beard appeared that night, as well as a giant with two babies. The two children were put on the doorstep of the Dursleys. And from that day on, they lived with them.

About 10 years later

Avery's pov (1st person)

'WAKE UP!!!! GET UP, YOU SHOULD HAVE STARTED BREAKFAST AGES AGO!!!!' Shouted Aunt Petunia as always while banging on the door of the closet. I groaned. There were two mattresses in the closet, barely, but they did fit. Harry and I had grown used to sleeping on super fin mattresses in a cramped closet. Some may say that the Dursleys mistreat us, and I totally agree with them. However, my brother, Harry, who can be a pushover at times says that 'I am just exaggerating' and that it's 'not as bad as I make it out to be'. I think he is just trying to be optimistic but still, come on, how can he say it isn't that bad when they have beaten us just for looking at the floor the wrong way. No, I am not joking. They did actually do that.

Anyways

Last night I barely got any sleep since I was doing chores until late into the night. The Dursleys decided to go to the playground with their pig of a son right after it rained and when they tried to wash the clothes in the washing machine, it got clogged, and I was washing clothes by hand. Harry quickly got up, still in his clothes from yesterday. 'Good morning, Avery!!' He said in a cheery voice, as if he hadn't just woken up. God, I envy morning people. 'You can sleep for a bit while I make breakfast.' he said, leaning down to give me a kiss on the cheek, and hurried off to feed the impatient Dursleys.

I am so very grateful for having a brother. We could work instead of the other, and always had a shoulder to lean on when feeling down. We also sort of made a routine, I would stay up a bit later, to do the jobs that needed to be done in the evening/at night while Harry tried to sleep so he could get up early to make breakfast. Sometimes when I didn't have to stay up for too long, I would also join in. During the daytime we both work equally, except when one of us is sick, then the other does most, if not all the work.

After about 1 more hour of well-deserved sleep, I was getting ready for the day, putting on my only clothes that fit, since all of my old ones were getting small, and the Dursleys thought that those clothes should last until me and Harry move out on our 18th birthday. At that moment Harry came into the room with one small slice of bread hidden behind his back.

'Sorry, this is all that I could get.' He sighed while trying to equally split the bread.

'Oh it's fine! I'm happy if we can get anything to eat really.' I replied, rolling my eyes at my brother's habit of apologizing for everything. We ate our bread quickly and then went to do the washing, since the washing machine was broken (since it was clogged, since the Dursleys made the wise decision to let their 11-year-old son roll in the mud) it would take longer than usual. While Harry was putting the freshly washed clothes on the clothesline, I went to get the mail that had just arrived. I flipped through them, muttering to myself 'boring, boring, boring, bo-' I saw a letter addressed to Harry and another one which was addressed to me.

I can't believe it!! Someone actually wrote to us!!

Beautifully written on the envelopes was: