Chapter 5: The first Christmas

Avery pov (1st person)

Halloween came and went, the days had become a blur really. The insults between Harry and Draco kept flying. I tried to reason with both of them, but neither listened, so I just ended up giving up. The first few days of December came around, bringing snow with it.

It was a nice Saturday morning, and the first and second-year Slytherins were heading down to the snow-covered grounds. When we made it out, most of the others started playing in the snow and building snowmen. Draco, Pansy, Blaise, and I just stood to the side, watching the beautiful sight of the grounds.

About five minutes later I heard some familiar voices from the entrance. I looked over to find Harry, Hermione, and Ron walking down the path. Draco stepped out from beside me obviously intending to pick on them. This had become a usual occurrence, and I barely even tried to stop it. Right now, could only bother with a glare that bounced right off of him, as he kept striding towards the trio.

'Hey Potter! I'm surprised you haven't ditched your little friends yet. I mean come on. A Weasley?? And Granger? I mean her hair is just everywhere I look! Can you not control it or something? Or do you just not have time with all the unnecessary studying?' I heard Pansy and Blaise chuckle to my left. A fury I didn't know I was hiding suddenly burst out of me without warning.

'DRACO MALFOY' The boy mentioned suddenly tensed up. I walked up to him, grabbed the front of his robes, and pushed him away, making him trip and fall into the snow. 'I'VE HAD ENOUGH. HAVE I NOT TOLD YOU ENOUGH TIMES TO LEAVE HARRY ALONE?? AND NOW YOUR DRAGGING HIS FRIENDS INTO THIS ASWELL?? I am extremely disappointed in you. What did they even do to deserve this?' At this point, I had a few tears in my eyes from my anger. 'Don't talk to me until you've realized your mistakes.' And with that, I turned and went over to the trio, who were watching with wide eyes. I might have slightly overreacted just a tad, it's not like he said the worst insults imaginable, but still, he could have left Hermione and Ron out of it!

'Let's go..' I muttered wrapping my arms around me. They quickly seemed to come to their senses, and we walked down the path until we stopped at some bigger rocks, which we dusted the snow off of, and sat down on them.

We remained silent for a couple of minutes until Hermione broke the silence. 'Thanks for standing up for us'

'No problem I guess. I just don't get what his problem is! When you guys aren't around he's fine, but as soon as he sees you, he turns into a right arse! It's just so frustrating!'

'Yeah That sounds weird..' Replied Hermione, looking deep in thought.

'Anyway, do y'all want to have a snowball fight?' Said Ron suddenly.

We spent the rest of the morning playing in the snow and just overall having a great time. At some point some other Gryffindors showed up, so we ended up having a huge snowball fight.

oOo

The next few days, I didn't speak to any of the other Slytherins, spending most of my free time with the Gryffindors. One afternoon, when we were sitting in the courtyard just chatting about stupid things when Draco walked up to us. Instantly, Harry stood up blocking Draco's way to me. 'What do you want Malfoy?'

'I just want to talk to your sister. Or is that not allowed either?' He sneered

'I think she made it quite clear the other day that she doesn't want to talk to you.'

'No. Harry, it's alright. I'll listen to what he has to say.' I stood up walking up next to him.

'Alright, whatever you say. Just be careful.' He muttered the last part, bearly audible.