1| dealings with the devil

HELL RISING
chapter one ; Dealings with the devil

[ season 1, episode 1 ]

┗━━━━━━༻✝༺━━━━━━┛

IRRITATION RADIATED OFF OF THE RED-HAIRED BRIT AS HE PACED THE HALLS OF THE WAVERIDER. "How did the meeting go, Captain Hunter?" A feminine voice rings out over the ship. "Just as expected, Gideon." Rip Hunter replies.

"And are we proceeding?" The AI questions. "Indeed," Rip confirms with a nod. "Set course: Star city, United States, January 2016." He takes his seat, pulling the metal safety restraints over his head.

"Ah... the second millennia AD," the man reminisces at the simpler times. "The golden age of gasoline engines, online pornography, and those silly little smart phones." The AI says in return.

"What exactly are we going to achieve, Captain?" Rip finishes typing in the exact coordinates before he speaks again. "Not what, Gideon. Who." He corrects, submitting his report.

"Speaking of, I need you to pull some files,- of the nine men and women that will be joining us on our little crusade." He orders, turning in his seat to face the view of the temporal zone.

"You usually prefer to work alone, Captain." The AI concludes from their past missions. "Well this time, I will be needing a team." He states.

His hand wraps around the lever, controlling the Waverider. He pushes it down and the ship takes off through space and time. "First recruit," he reads the first name off his list. "Katie Bennett,"

"Captain, I ask that you reconsider this candidate. Katie Rose Bennett is a meta-human currently in quarrel with the Flash. Removing her from the timeline could possibly disrupt her life and substantially damage her future." Gideon expresses her concerns, but Rip simply disregards her warnings.

"No need to worry, Gideon."

Star city, 2016

𝓣𝓱𝓸𝓶𝓪𝓼'𝓼 𝓟𝓞𝓥

A cigarette hung loosely between a raven
haired man's lips. After taking a short drag, he flicks the ashes into the ashtray before returning his sharp gaze onto the stranger that sat before him.

"So... you know my sister?" Smoke billowed out of his mouth, before dissipating into the air. "Well, not exactly." The man's accent was unmistakably British, with a clipped pronunciation and a tendency to use formal phrases.

"However, I am aware of her... and her abilities." Despite the dark haired man's cool demeanor, the orange jumpsuit he wore and the prison bars behind him made it clear that he was not to be trifled with.

Thomas's eyes narrows at the red-haired brit. "And what abilities is it that you speak of?" A grin pulls at the strangers lips. "I am aware your sister is in fact a meta-human, affected by the particle excelerator."

Thomas's eyes lazily watch as he presses the butt of the cigarette into the tray, before returning to the stranger. "What do you want from Katie?" He asks, a threat laced in his question.

"I ask for nothing besides her help." Thomas silently sinks back into the metal chair. "And so why don't you ask her instead of coming to me?" The brit sighs.

"Unlike my other recruits, she may be a bit more difficult to subdue." Thomas listens, with little to no care. "I have yet to create a device able to counteract her abilities and I am in a bit of a rush." He continues.