Chapter 20

When the game ended, some girls started offering their plastic bottles to the two teams. Muichiro, who had been out of sight, suddenly appeared surrounded by many girls.

"Take my bottle, Muichiro-kun!"

"No, take mine, please!!!"

"No! Mine, Muichiro!"

The girls kept begging him to accept their bottles. Feeling brave, I walked over and pushed some girls aside.

When Muichiro noticed me, he also walked towards me, and we locked eyes.

"Y/n-chan," he said happily, using my name.

"Here, I brought this for you!" I said, handing him a 4-liter bottle of water.

He gasped in surprise, but he accepted it anyway. I playfully pinched his cheek before walking away from him.

"Do you still need some water, Muichiro-kun?" a girl asked him.

"Do you think I really need one?" Muichiro sarcastically responded, showing her the 4-liter bottle of water I had given him. Without waiting for the girl's answer, he walked back to his team.

******************************************

After saying goodbye to Muichiro and his friends, as well as Origami, I headed home. When I arrived, I saw my mom sitting on the couch looking stressed.

"Are you okay, mom?" I asked, concerned.

She looked up at me angrily.

"You know I hate it when you surprise me, Y/n," she said angrily.

I fell silent. She had told me this countless times before.

"I'm so-" I didn't get to finish my sentence when my mom suddenly pulled me into a hug.

I was taken aback. In my 14 years of life, this was the first time my mom had spontaneously hugged me.

"I can't hide this from you anymore, Y/n. I need to tell you the truth!" my mom said with a shaky voice.

"What truth, mom?" I asked, confused.

She let go of me and sighed. She suggested that I sit next to her on the couch. When I sat down, she looked at me.

"Please don't be mad, Y/n, or anything like that," she said, gently caressing my hair.

I nodded, feeling like there was something she had been keeping from me.

"The truth is, you're not my daughter," she said, looking at me seriously.

"You're lying," I tried to interrupt, but she hushed me.

"It's the truth," she sighed. "You're my niece, Y/n."

I was speechless. For some reason, I felt anger rising within me. If it was true, then where was my real mom? Where was my real dad?

But there was a part of me that knew my anger was unjust. Surely, my mom (or rather, my now aunt) would explain everything.

"Your mom was my twin sister. Her name was Jazmine, and your dad is Larzen," my aunt explained, showing me a picture of my real parents.

My mom and my aunt did not have the same face. They were twins, but perhaps not identical.

"Your mom used to be a former nun, Y/n," my aunt continued, now rubbing my back. "Jazmine, who is your mom, fell in love with Larzen while still in the convent."

I looked up at her, tears welling in my eyes.

"What happened to them?" I asked.

"Nothing, my dear," my aunt reassured me. "Your mom left the convent to be with your dad, but she still holds onto her religious beliefs."

"But why did they... you know, w-why did they give me to you?" I struggled to ask.

"They gave you to me for some unknown reason," my aunt sighed. "I... But now they want you back."

"You mean-"

"I'm sorry for mistreating you, Y/n," my aunt said sadly. "It's just that when you turned four years old, I already treated you as my own daughter. And when I realized one day that my twin sister would want you back, I knew I would be lonely. I didn't want to grow too attached to you because I knew I would miss you terribly, but I guess my plan didn't work."

******************************************

My aunt called my real mom on the phone and handed it to me. I was beyond excited to finally talk to her.

"Yes, she wants to talk to you, sis!" my aunt said, passing the phone. "And no, she didn't get mad when I told her!"