season three x episode nineteen

━𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃 𝐎𝐅 my pager beeping jolts me awake. Shit, I fell asleep. 

I've been on-call all night, and it is now morning. I take in my surroundings to find myself sitting on a small chair in the lobby.

I glance at my flashing pager as I stand up. Pain signals throughout my body for sitting on the uncomfortable chair for so long. 

I briefly sigh before running to answer my page.

⭒☂━━━━━━━━☂⭒

"𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐈𝐒 𝐎𝐔𝐑 computer-generated approximation of your original face structure." Dr. Sloan looks over to the computer monitor adjacent to him. "Based on the 3-D C.T. scans we did, it's what you could look like after reconstructive surgery." He clicks through multiple facial structures for Jane Doe to pick from. 

I lean against the doorway, attempting to not fall asleep while standing up when a horrid smell wafts through my nose. 

"George. You genuinely smell horrible. What happened?" My nose scrunches in disgust from the rancid smell.

"I drank a lot of alcohol." George turns to look at me with watery, red eyes.

"Drink some water. Take a shower as well, you stink."

"I've showered twice today. And Callie's dad is in town." A massive sigh escapes his mouth.

"I can only wish you luck at this moment. So, good luck." I give him a small grin before turning away from the disgusting odor.

⭒☂━━━━━━━━☂⭒

𝐈 𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐋𝐘 𝐅𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐎𝐖 Dr. Bailey along with the group of interns.

"Dr. Woolf, what can you tell me about reconstructing the orbital floor?" Dr. Sloan flaunts a faint smirk.

"You can, uh, create a new base for the eye socket by harvesting bone from the skull."

"Dr. Bailey, Dr. Woolf will be scrubbing in on the Jane Doe surgery."

"Thank you, Dr. Sloan." I flash him a grateful smile.

"I'll show you how to do it without breaking the bone graft into a million pieces. Though, I doubt you will."

He begins to walk forward, my legs quickly following him. I close my eyes for only a second, causing me to stumble into the wall next to me. My hands fly to Dr. Sloan's arm to regain my balance.

"I am so sorry, Dr. Sloan. I-"

"Don't worry about it, it was cute. But are you okay?"

I stare into his bright eyes that are clouded with sincere concern, my lips parted by bewilderment. I am suddenly sober from my exhaustion. 

"Um, I- yeah. Perfectly fine, Dr. Sloan." 

"And stop calling me that. Just call me Mark."

"Then you just call me Olive, or Ollie. Whatever floats your boat, Mark."

"Okay, Ollie."

⭒☂━━━━━━━━☂⭒

𝐈 𝐒𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐋𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐊 into Jane Doe's room with a coffee, raising it to my lips, and taking a sip. 

"Did you pick out a face yet?" I question her.

"Not yet." A sigh follows. "I was hoping I'd see one of them and, I don't know, recognize myself or something." She flips through the papers, but only one of them decides her future. "But I don't recognize any of these women."

Jane Doe looks up at Alex.

"What if I choose the wrong one? What if my husband, or boyfriend, or whoever's baby this is, shows up tomorrow with a picture of what I'm supposed to look like, but it's too late and I'm stuck with the wrong face for the rest of my life?" 

"Okay, that would suck, but if you don't pick one-" Alex flips a mirror in her direction. "-this is going to be your face for the rest of your life."

The fatigue pulsing through my body makes me start to doze off standing up. My muscles begin to relax and-

Crash. My coffee splashes all over the floor and my blue scrubs.

"So much for caffeine," I mumble silently.

I swiftly grab nearby cleaning supplies and clean up the mess on the floor. Alex glares at me as I scrub the floor.

"Sorry. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to, it just fell out of my hands."

"Yeah, like you didn't mean to fall asleep? On a case, really? I'm paging Sloan, get out."

"Why do you need to page me?" Mark appears in the doorway with his arms crossed.

"This screw-up fell asleep standing up, and spilled her coffee all over the floor!"

My eyes panickedly meet Mark's as I quickly rise from the floor. He waves me out to the hall. Shit.

"What's going on, Olive?" Mark examines my face as I conjure up a response.

"Nothing, I'm fine-"

"Bullshit. What's going on with you? You haven't seemed fully here all day."

A disappointed sigh slips from my mouth.

"I was on-call last night. I didn't find any chances to fall asleep, except for this morning in the lobby. But that's beside the point." I quickly change my demeanor to appear awake and fully functional. "Seriously though. I'm fine, and not tired anymore. I had coffee. Y'know, the popular caffeinated drink?"

"You're not fooling me, Ollie. I'll get someone different on this case. But, you need sleep. Follow me."

"No, seriously, I'm fine!"

"Ollie."

With a defeated shrug, I trace after Mark's steps. 

He leads me to an on-call room. The ones that attendings hog, leaving none for interns.

"Here's what you're going to do: sleep. In here."

"But attendings hog these?"

"I'll make sure no one bothers you while you sleep. Just go in there. You need the rest." Mark glances at my face, waiting for approval.

"Fine."

With that, I walk into the on-call room and find wonderous, much-needed sleep.

⭒☂━━━━━━━━☂⭒

𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵: 896

𝘢𝘭𝘣𝘶𝘮 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘺: 𝙖𝙣𝙞𝙢𝙤𝙨𝙞𝙩𝙮 𝘣𝘺 𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘶𝘴𝘵

𝐌𝐈𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐄 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐊𝐒

this one was cute. i really liked writing this one. but, omg another update?!? crazyyy. anyways, i hope you enjoyed. vote or comment if you wish to do so. :))