Chapter Thirty ~Zaria

"What on earth was that?" Lucy gasps hobbling over to me.

"You heard that too, right? That wasn't just me," I question gripping the hair close to my scalp. At this point, the other people in the Common Room have stopped what they are doing to stare at Lucy and me.

"Stay away from the man with the answers," she repeats out of breath.

"But..." I gasp still trying to catch my breath. My core is still tight and twisted. "What was that voice... and what does it all mean?"

"Oh, come on Zaria. You're better than this!" Lucy stammers. It's obviously a message from Eden and I think you know exactly who she is talking about."

We both glare over at Tyrian, but it is only now that I realize he, too, is looking disheveled as if he had walked through a hurricane.

"So," I say looking back over towards Lucy. "That means we must be on the right track, then. If she doesn't want us to do anything with him?"

She doesn't look all convinced. "Then again," she starts. "The voice could be from someone other than Eden."

I glare at her, and we both know that's just her wishful thinking.

"He got it too," I whisper to her. "Why would he get it too if she were talking about him?" Her face sets in a slight scowl and I can see the gears turning in her head trying to find a loophole. "And if he's gotten the same message, it's only confirmation that he is supposed to help us."

"Yes," she cuts in. "Unless for once we should listen to her," she says waving her arm in the air and I catch a glimpse of the pair of wings on her arm.

"Maybe," I murmur. "It's a risk either way." I think back to what Tyrian had just told me moments ago in the shop. Was it all just a ruse to get me to trust him? Could he just be using my mother as a crutch to get closer to us or was he telling the truth?

"Or do you want to believe he's telling the truth?" The angry thoughts creep back into my head.

"No," I try to tell myself, though I can't think with certainty. Either way, I need to find out what all he knows. What all has he seen? What all has he heard?

"I think we should let him help," I tell her looking over in Tyrian's direction. He sits slumped over the table facing away from us, but no doubt he can overhear our conversation with his Fae ears. I try my best to tell myself not to look at Lucy and see if I can see hers. "I think he wants to help."

Again, his words flood my mind from just a few minutes ago. If he truly interceded on my and my mother's behalf, I have no choice but to trust him.

She keeps her gaze fixed on his back as if burning a hole through it. The color around her starts to change, but it doesn't match her face all that much. If I looked closely enough, I would guess that there was a bit of curious wonder hiding behind her thick walls of defense.

"We certainly don't know why," I continue speaking low so only she, and maybe Tyrian, can hear. "But you guys have some sort of connection. And who are we to question why?"

Funny. Asking why has been my nightly ritual for the past few months. Feeling like a hypocrite I hold my hand out at her statue-like body.

Reluctantly, she takes my hand and I lead her over to the bistro where Tyrian is still doubled over.

"Feeling alright?" I ask behind him and he startles, quickly turning around. His face falls when he meets Lucy's piercing stare.

"So, the princess is finally awake," he says to no one in particular. Lucy's cheeks go suddenly red and her nails dig into my hand. I fix my face to keep a smile and Tyrian contorts his into a mocking pout. "Should I bow or...