~Chapter 15~

"Storm!" Star, Owl and Hawk all yelled at the same time.

Storm hit the ground with a thump, laying on the ground, unconscious.

Luckily though, the wolves were too busy trying to get the crushed wolf out from under the fallen branch to notice, so Storm had a few moments for the others to climb down, lift the unconscious lynx onto Hawk's shoulders, and carry her away, moving as quick as they could through the melting, slippery snow.

"What happened?" Leaf gasped when Hawk set Storm down in front of her.

"The wolves-" Hawk choked out. If he said too much, he, Owl, Star and Storm would get in a lot of trouble.

"Poor Storm," Leaf licked Storm's forehead. "I know you tried to rescue River and Dawn," she added, staring right at Starlight. "And I won't tell anyone if you don't want me to. Just... make sure you know what you're doing, okay?"

"Yes," Star promised.

"And stay safe."

"I know."

"Do you, though? I mean, look at Storm!"

Star flinched, looking away, and Hawk knew why. Wherever anyone got hurt, Star would always blame herself because she was there when it happened. It was just... Star's nature.

"Can you help her?" Was all she mumbled.

"I'll see what I can do. But I'll need space to work, and Star, I think you should leave too. You need a break."

Two days passed, and Hawk wasn't sure how Storm could sleep for so long when he couldn't even sleep at all.

"Can I please come in?" He begged again.

"Why?" Leaf asked.

"You let Star and Owl in today! I saw it!"

"So? Star is useful. And Owl... well, I don't know."

"Please...?"

"Fine. I guess I can't keep you away forever." She rolled her eyes, letting Hawk step into the make-shift den that she kept Storm in. "And can you try to get her to wake up? She needs to eat before her stomach decides to eat itself."

"I can try," he moved past her, padding over to the small nest where Storm was sleeping. The breath was whistling out of her nose, and she looked healthy now. "Storm? Leaf needs you to wake up," he said. "Can you wake up? She says your stomach is going to eat itself if you don't. Storm?"

. . .

"Storm?"

Storm heard the voice. It was barely audible, but it was loud enough. Anything was better than wandering in this forest, that seemed to go on forever.

She didn't even remember what had happened in the last few days she'd been there, but she remembered a smell- of a lynx. She didn't remember anything about the lynx, but she knew that she saw one, or maybe even spoke with one.

"Storm," the soft whisper came again.

"Who is it?" She called, but everything was going hazy. She struggled to find her vision again, blinking again and again, trying to see what was happening. But the pull of the voice was too strong. She felt herself slipping away, but then she looked up.

"Hawk?" she muttered, staring at the lynx's face.

"Hey, you're awake," he purred. "I'll be right back. I just have to go tell Leaf."

"Okay." Storm shook her head, trying to clear the darkness that was slowly creeping in around her. She struggled into a sitting position, but the darkness swarmed her again, making her collapse again. She saw Leaf come in, mouth full of herbs.

"Good," the healing trainer sighed. "Don't try to get up."

So Storm decided not to mention that she'd already tried, and was not too keen to try again. "What happened after that branch fell? How did you get away without the wolves catching you?"

The first branch that fell hit one of the wolves," Hawk informed her. "The others were all trying to get it out, so they didn't notice when we left."

"Well... is that good or bad?" Storm countered.

"Good, because we got away. Bad because they're going to want revenge if the wolf died- which is highly likely."

"That is probably true."

"Well, I hope the wolves don't take their revenge out on any lynx like... one of the younger trainees. Or maybe the kits?" Storm lifted her head so fast that it all went blurry for a few seconds as the blood rushed to her head. She hadn't noticed Leaf standing there.

"I hope not," Hawk muttered.

"I don't think they will," Leaf decided. "Not if we react before they do."

"But how?" Storm shook her head. "We already failed."

"Maybe you did," the healing-trainer agreed. "But that makes it so they won't be expecting a second attempt."

"What?"

"I'll go speak with Moonsight, but I think it's high time we rescue River and Dawn."