~Chapter 20~

"Your father's death was a terrible tragedy, but I believe that out of his failures, you will rise and make it work."

Shade lowered his head as his mother spoke. It'd been over a month since the battle.

"Shade, you're still young," Daffodil continued. "But you are strong. You will bring this pack to glory and honor."

Shade glared at his claws, which glinted in the light of the setting sun.

"Shade, will you come with us to GreatStone to become the new leader?"

"Yes," he barked. Yes, for my father. For you, Nightshade! Just like you promised, I will be leader. Too bad you aren't here to see it.

"Oh, I can see it," a low growl sounded like it was the wind talking.

Good.

The entire pack had followed him and his mother to GreatStone- a huge rock jutting out of the side of the mountain, shaped like a fang.

All the other coywolves gathered below it, and Daffodil nodded him forwards. "This is it. Nightshade would be proud."

"Mhm," Shade whispered back, and started up the rock.

From the top, he could see everything. The entire forest, including lynx-territory. He stood for a moment, letting the wind ruffle his fur, wiping at his ears, before he let out a started.

"We will all miss Nightshade," he began, raising his voice to be heard above the howling wind. "And I will never be as great a leader as he. But I will try my best to follow in his footsteps. Those few mistakes he made led to his death, and I promise not to ever make those same mistakes. Mistakes are what ruins us. And that was the only fault my father had. He let the mistakes happen. I will finish what he started, but this time there will be no mistakes. Not even one. I will finish this once and for all, and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it. Because we will finally do what the ancients had failed to do."

He lifted his head as his fathers- no, his- wolves barked his name.

"No mistakes," his fathers spirit whispered.

No mistakes, Shade repeated, and let out a howl.

. . .

Starlight gazed at the setting sun and sighed. It's been so long... I wonder how we'll ever go back to normal.

She looked behind her at the forest. It was washed in golden light from the sun, and looked beautiful.

"It's amazing, what can happen in such a short period of time, no?"

She turned her head and let out a gasp. "Larch?!"

"Starlight," the spirit-lynx murmured, padding closer. "You seem to be doing well."

"I... think so," Star replied. "But... How is life ever going to go back to how it was? I think it can. Maybe I just need more time?"

"Time is something not everyone has. Don't spend too much of your time wondering and dreaming and hoping life will be normal again. All those things are wonderful. But if you hope and dream for too long, and don't actually try to do anything about it, nothing will happen."

"I guess so," Star agreed, looking at the trees again. "Can you stay here? I think.. I think I need someone. Someone who I can talk to. Someone who understands me."

"Oh Star, I'm always here. But not always... well, here."

"That makes zero sense."

"I'm just saying, don't ever think that you're alone. You're not."

Star closed her eyes. "Really?"

No answer.

She opened her eyes and sighed. Not alone? Then why did you just leave?!

And in the distance, Star heard a blood-chilling howl.

. . .

River blinked slowly. The light from sunrise flowed into the den. She got up and stretched. Even though she'd been home for a long time already, she still hadn't gotten used to waking up and seeing all the calmly-sleeping trainees.

"Storm?" She poked her sister with her paw. "You awake?"

"Yes," Storm sat up.

River could still see the almost-haunted look in her sister's eyes, and it saddened her. "You hungry? Let's get some food."

"Yeah, sure," Storm nodded and stood, shaking out her fur and walking out of the den.

"Hey! Wait for me!" River called and started towards the entrance of the den.

"Shh," somelynx grumbled.

"Sorry."

"Coming, River?"

"Yeah!" River launched outside. "Race you to get the juiciest rabbit!"

"Hah!" Storm jumped in front of her, cutting her off from winning. "Guards know nothing about speed!"

River laughed and tackled her sister, rolling over, then flipping her onto her back. "And Hunters know nothing at all!"

"Hey!"

And for the first time since the battle, Storm laughed.

Sooo.... yep.

I'm done. Weird, right?

Anyways, I planed a second book... not sure when I'll start it. Maybe soon, maybe not. Idk. I guess you'll find out :]

Luv y'all, and see ya later!! <3