Seventeen

"Thank you again for lunch, a-and the barrette,"

Guinevere said softly with her sparkling eyes averted.

"Thank you for keeping it," He told her. "I will see you later."

She smiled and waved, she had a lovely smile. "Okay,"

What was happening to him?

He didn't want to go. Not just yet. He wanted to stay and watch her teach. She didn't even have to teach. She could talk and he would sit and listen, but he had to let her continue her lesson with the children.

Every child deserved a chance to learn.

And for that reason, he left the schoolhouse.

As he reached the bottom step, he heard his name.

"Good day, Obadiah!"

It was Mrs. Hayworth.

Guinevere's children were sitting with her on the front porch of the bakery.

"Hello, Mrs. Hayworth,"

She smiled and motioned for him to come, and he complied.

"Sit with me," She patted the rocking chair beside her and he sat.

"What brought you to town?"

The woman was nosey.

But in a good way.

He was sure Guinevere knew a word for it.

"I came to see Guinevere." He told her, and her eyes began to twinkle.

"Guinevere," She hummed with a gentle smile. "I'm very glad things have been going well for you two. How are the lessons?"

He was too.

"Good. She's a great teacher. I read a children's book about a boy and his dog," He said proudly, making her gasp.

Mrs. Delores could've praised the Lord.

"Wonderful! You've come so far in such a short time. I know Guinevere is proud, and I am as well," She told him sincerely. "Can I ask you something?"

Obadiah nodded.

"Does it please your heart when she's happy?"

He didn't have to think. "Yes. Very much,"

She hummed, her eyes squinted as she smiled. "And you do things to make her happy. The wagon for the children, that was very kind of you," She motioned to Isaiah, who played quietly with his toys. "And Guinevere couldn't tell me before he did. He is very grateful for the rocking horse you made him,"

Warmth settled in his heart at her words.

He didn't know why, but it was okay.

"She's a precious woman. I understand why you want to see her happy."

He nodded.

Mrs. Hayworth was speaking the truth. He liked conversations with her.

"But sometimes she can be afraid, do you know what I mean?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"It happens to us all, but with you, if you remain consistent with your kindness and desire to see her happy, she won't be so afraid anymore."

Obadiah sat back and let her wisdom sink in.

He thought Guinevere was slightly annoying for her pushback, but Mrs. Hayworth's words changed how he felt.

If she was truly afraid, he would do what Mrs. Hayworth suggested.

He understood what it was like to be afraid.