26.

Massey

I spent much of my time the next morning with Broden, weaving in and out of the crowd that prepared for the King's departure. It was hard to leave his side when everyone was nearly ready to go, but I went off to say goodbye to the others. Sansa was the most excited I'd ever seen her, but Arya was precisely the opposite. I told both girls how much I'd miss them, and went to find Jon. He was standing solemnly next to his horse, adjusting the saddle.

   "You look just as delighted as Arya," I teased.

"She'll be just fine. I've given her something of her own to bring to the capital, in the spirit of our lessons."

"A bow?" I asked in surprise. I didn't think that would go over well with her father, no matter how much he supported her training.

He shook his head, looking all too guilty. Then, it dawned on me what he was saying.

   "You've given her a sword?"

   He raised his eyebrows and nodded.

   "Oh my," I said under my breath. "As soon as you leave, I must hurry to the ravenry."

   "Why?"

   "To warn the people of King's Landing."

We shared one final laugh over that, then a heartfelt hug as Robb approached. I wanted to allow them some privacy, so I went off to find my father. Aside from that, Robb and I hadn't spent much time together in the past days. He'd been engrossed in his family, rightfully so, and I made no complaint.

"Write," I demanded before walking off. "Write often."

"I will. If you should ever need me just...you know," he continued, looking up to the sky. "Follow the chill."

I gave one last sad smile, and leaned in to kiss him softly on the cheek. "Goodbye, Jon."

"Goodbye, Massey," he returned with a heartfelt look.

I shuffled away to my father, who stood alongside my brother near their horses. A sudden surge of confidence came over me, and I asked if we could speak alone. The look in my brother's eyes before he parted from us gave way to the fact he knew what I wanted to discuss with our father. The cold morning air must have invigorated me. That, or the realization that this was to be the last chance I'd have at putting a stop to any further plans for my betrothal. I gave Broden one final hug before he stepped away.

"What is it, my dear?" He asked as he slipped on his gloves, his kind eyes looking into mine. The confidence I felt wavered then, replaced once more by the fear of hurting him.

"I—" I began, stuttering. "I need to speak with you about the betrothal."

"Has Lord Stark said something?"

"No. I feared he had said something to you."

He hesitated for a moment. "Feared?"

"Yes," I muttered. "It's...it's not him, father."

"Not who?"

"Robb," I explained, my eyes dropping to the ground for a moment as I confessed my truth.

"That's nonsense," he bellowed with a bit of laughter. I don't think he felt how serious I meant to be in my approach. "You two get on so well. It is nearly final."

"But, it is not final, is it?"

As he looked over my sullen face, he then understood that I wasn't joking or simply being insecure. His entire demeanor changed. His smile vanished, and I could have sworn that he didn't even blink for several moments. "What do you mean?" He asked slowly, drawn out as though there were some sort of warning behind his words to plan my next statement very carefully.