35.

Massey

Wedded life seemed to suit us both just fine. We'd go about our daily chores, then find each other once again in the evening, spending most of our nights sleeplessly in Theon's chambers. Robb had even called for an intimate dinner two nights after our wedding, which allowed us to inform those who didn't know that we had married. He seemed to be warming up to the reality of it, he and Theon having reached a good place once again. Rickon had a great many questions, but Bran seemed not to care at all. Hodor congratulated us. At least, I think he did.

   As the days went on without any correspondence from my brother, my worry for the tension within the capital only grew. I wanted to write again, to tell him of my marriage, but it felt like I was only penning letters that were wasting away in a ravenry somewhere in King's Landing. I wondered if he were even allowed to send letters north at this point, wondered if he was living freely or under the thumb of the Lannisters.

Broden will be fine. He's strong willed and strong of body.

Though, so is Lord Stark. He's ten times more important there, and we've seen how they're treating him.

Robb was still obviously troubled by his mother and father's absence. He was constantly torn between acting on the assault of his father and keeping the peace. Maester Luwin did well to advise him against more violence. And though my opinion wasn't exactly up for consideration, I was happy for it.

   There seemed to be a budding relationship between the Starks and Osha, one of mutual trust despite the fact that she was their captive. She still shuffled around Winterfell in chains, which seemed to me all that more unnecessary as the time passed. Still, she was a wildling. I understood Robb's caution.

   On one particular morning, I left Theon's bed leisurely, allowing him to snore away the first hour of dim daylight. I brought myself down to have an early breakfast before taking a walk through the Godswood for a morning prayer. I always loved to get out early enough to still see the morning fog and dew that decorated the forest floor. It was also a pleasant time for reflection, as I often times found myself alone to call on the Old Gods. When I broke through the trees and found Osha at the foot of the heart tree, I gave pause for a moment. Like a hawk eying a rabbit with precision, she spotted me immediately and noted the hesitation in my movements.

"Come now, lady. I don't bite."

I considered my options, but decided to trust her. "Have I disturbed your prayers?"

She shook her head, bringing her legs around in front of her to cross them, the chains clanking together all the way. I sat near her and closed my eyes in peace for a couple of minutes before speaking with her again.

"What were you praying for?"

"Safety," she answered simply.

   "You won't find harm here. Robb is a man of his word, no matter what the other men may think of you."

   "Not from men," she muttered.

   "Then, from what?"

   She looked over me in a way that sent a shiver down my spine. I almost backed away, but decided to see what she had to say.

   "As I told the old man," she started, "there's things far worse than any of these southern men on my side of The Wall."

   "You mean the Others," I said matter of factly. She nodded once, no trace of a lie or an exaggeration behind her eyes. Still, I couldn't stop the scoff that left my mouth. "My brother used to tease me with tales of them when I was a child. He'd have me so scared that I couldn't sleep some nights."