Chapter 5

Chapter 5

⤞❅⤞❅⤝❅⤝

"Morning, Erik!" Grace greets the receptionist with an uncharacteristically non-professional smile, clearly taking the man by surprise. Her Friday and most of Saturday spent with Regulus, having left the woman feeling a bit fluttery and excited to see her partner this morning.

"Good morning, Grace. Enjoy your weekend?"

"Oh yes!" She answers, causing her to blush internally before making her way over to her desk. Get it together, Grace. Time to work! She lectures herself as she gathers her composure and begins looking over a new file that came in last night.

"You should smile like that more." She suddenly hears an annoying voice speak towards her as she looks up to see Travis Burton grinning. "You actually looked cute coming in here."

"I'm not here to look cute." She snaps at the older man. Hearing a chuckle from Hughes and Burton at the next set of desks over, she clenches her fists.

"Agree to disagree, Lupin." He snarks back, looking smug. "I think you like dressing up in those pretty blouses for Black to admire."

Internally wanting to rip the man's head off, Grace forces herself to take a breath in. If I lash out, it will provide them reason to call me emotional and sensitive. I won't let them get to me. Summoning her normal intimidating business look she looks at the man silently.

Clearly off put by her lack of response, followed by a terrifying silent stare, Burton feels an odd chill go down his spine as she continues looking at him. "Whatever." He huffs under his breath aftering cracking from her gaze before he goes back to his desk.

Only 10 minutes pass before Regulus arrives, his tea, and Grace's correct coffee order in hand. "Morning." He greets with a smile, but quickly drops it as he sees the look of anger in her eyes. "What happened?" He asks, lowering his voice as he takes his seat next to her.

"Nothing of importance."

"Grace, I-"

"It's nothing, Reggie. I'm fine."

Letting out a sigh, it takes all of two seconds for him to look from the chuckling men at the other desks, back to the woman next to him to put two and two together. "Who was it? I can talk to the Chief and-"

"No, Reg." She looks over at him. "That's exactly what they want. They think I'm crawling into your bed to get better cases. You saying something will only add fuel to that rumor."

"Pfft." He scoffs. "They should get their facts straight... If anything I was crawling into your bed on Friday." Taken back by his sudden off handed joke, Grace's professional persona cracks as she lets out a loud laugh before quickly covering her mouth with her hands.

With all eyes suddenly turned towards the unexpected sound, Grace can't help but let another laugh slip out which quickly causes Regulus to follow suit as he enjoys her failed attempts to silence herself.

"Excuse me." Collecting themselves, they look over to see Erik having come over from his desk with a few letters in hand. "Mail arrived." He extends out a letter to Grace and three letters to Regulus.

"Thank you, Brooks." Regulus nods, taking them.

Glancing over at one of the envelopes he holds, Grace moves closer to get a better view. "I recognize that handwriting." She comments.

Opening up the letter he immediately begins to get a bit nervous. "Uh, it's from Sirius."

"That's great!"