Chapter 10

⤞❅⤞❅⤝❅⤝

Chapter 10

⤞❅⤞❅⤝❅⤝

"It truly was great seeing you again, Grace!" The blonde man speaks with a soft expression. "I'm sorry we can't be of more help." He glances toward his wife who he wraps an arm around. I still can't believe two of my 'fan club' members ended up getting married... such a weird thing to bond over.

"No need to apologize." Grace speaks with a kind voice, feeling confident that neither of the two would be the killer. "If you do think of something else, or anyone else from back in our school days then please reach out."

Turning to leave with Regulus at her side, they make it two steps before the tall woman speaks, taking a step away from her husband. "Actually," The Aurors turn to look back at the couple. "I do recall a rumor about another student who liked you as well... um damn I can't remember specifics." She glances at her husband. "Remember, it was back in 5th year around Valentine's day?"

The man scrunches his face in thought before a light bulb goes off in his mind. "Ah! Yes!" He walks forward, placing his arm around his wife again. "Someone sent you a series of books as a present and you thanked all of us for them, but we realized none of us sent them. It became a bit of a mystery in our group as the sender never made themselves known."

"Huh..." Grace hums, thinking back to try and remember the books being referenced. If someone gifted me books there's still a good chance I have them in my collection. "You don't recall the book titles do you?" Shaking their heads, they give apologetic looks. "No worries." She smiles again softly. "Thank you both for your help."

Reaching the end of the driveway, Regulus takes Grace's hand as they apparate back to her apartment. "No memory of what the books could be then?" He asks, watching as she immediately moves to her bookshelves.

Rubbing the side of her head, she lets out a frustrated sigh. "I'm trying to... but I don't ever remember getting books as a gift, or even thanking them for it." She looks back at the hundreds of book titles that line the shelves. "Even if we find the book, what are the chances it's from our killer?"

"We should turn over every stone, Grace."

"I know." She lets out another defeated sigh. "I-I just don't understand how this could happen? My gut tells me were on the right track, but another part of me can't believe that someone would actually take another's life just to try and make me happy in their own twisted mind."

A small pecking on the window interrupts as they look over to see an owl. "I got it." Regulus walks over, gently kissing Grace's head as he passes her before opening the window and accepting the owl's message.

"What's it say?" Grace asks, seeing Regulus' face grow serious as he reads it over.

"Two more deaths." He speaks quietly. "Same MO, muggle born female and pure blooded male... and um, it occurred one street over."

"Fuck." Grace curses, moving to sit on the sofa as her head falls in her hands. Feeling Regulus move beside her, she naturally moves to curl against him. "We should go." She whispers, taking a few seconds to just enjoy his body against hers.

"I can go alone, if you need a moment here. You can check the books while I-"

"I'm going with you." Grace cuts him off, lifting her head to pull his face closer to her own. "We stay together. It's safer."

"You're pushing yourself too hard again."

Huffing, she rolls her eyes as she stands up and glares toward the window. "Two more people are dead. Their deaths are on me-"