Gold

I've always loved the color of gold. The sweet rich color of yellow, made me obsessed with it. The world was dull to me, the only thing that shined through was the color of the sun.

Maybe that's why I fell for him. The boy who's hair shone as bright as the sun. Who's personality was as sunny like a cloudless day.

I spoke to him in wonder, How could he be so bright that it's almost blinding? How do you see the world with such vigor?

We'd spend our days in happiness, under a oak tree on top of a hill. Where we'd enjoy the sunset together. The golden dusk reaching upon us, as I brushed his hair.

"You smell like the morning sun."

I whispered.

He took my hand within his and said,

"You smell just the same."

My eyes widened at what he spoke. I was like the sun? To him? I felt my heartbeat within my chest as I bit my lip. I can't, our relationship cannot be. For I am to be wed to one I don't even love.

I ran away.

I ran away from a life I didn't want to live. Holding his hand as he guides me back to the hill, our hill. Still in my wedding dress, I couldn't leave this man alone. He was the sun, my everything. I'd follow him to the ends of the earth. He's been smiling like an idiot ever since he dragged me out of the wedding ceremony.

My beloved.

My everything was bleeding onto my arms that very same time. The time where it's supposed to be magical, where it was supposed to be just us. Broken by a single bullet.

Under the oak tree, on the hill where we profess our love for one another.

"You shouldn't have run away with him!" My fiancée yelled.

This monster who took away my love.

My sunshine, how are you still able to smile up at me and tuck my hair behind my ear? Tears fell down my face as his golden hair got tainted by the redness of his blood.

Droplets of my tears fell onto his face. Telling me not to cry and that he's still with me. His faced turned towards the soft gold rays of the sun.

"I'm glad I get to see you in this moment before I die, you look so beautiful"

As his eyes slowly closed and his breath became heavy.

I cried, screamed, shouted, and kicked to not be dragged away from his side. At least at not this time of day. My sunshine, my light, I love you forever and always.

What a shame it is to die at golden hour.