Facing Fear

TW: implied child abuse

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xisuma couldn't help but stare, blush tinting his cheeks. The man in the corner booth blushed as well. It was like they were in a movie, and time was stopping. The man stood and walked over to Xisuma, wonder in his eyes. He spoke.

"Pardon me for staring, but I do believe you have the sweetest face I have ever seen." He said it so matter-of-factly. It didn't seem like the man was trying to be flirty necessarily, but X blushed anyways. For once, he was at a loss for words.

"T-Thanks uh... you have very pretty eyes." The man seemed caught off guard by this somehow. The cafe and all the other people in the room were almost nonexistent. It was just the two of them, both flustered strangers.

"My! What a nice compliment!" The man smiled, "I'm Keralis. Do I have the pleasure of knowing the name that belongs to this beautiful man in front of me?"

"Xisuma. But you can call me X. Most people do."

"Well X, this may seem a bit forward, but could I have your number? It's not often I run into stunning people like you." X's eyes widened in shock. Keralis wanted his phone number!

"Oh uh yeah! You definitely can." Keralis looked very excited at that. He instantly pulled out his phone and handed it to X. The two exchanged numbers like giddy teenagers. Etho took notice of the exchange and spoke.

"Keralis? Good to see you man! Been a while. I'm guessing you've met my friend X?" Keralis nodded.

"It has been a while, friend! Last I recall we were here in this very parlor! And you ran out the door! And yes, I have met X." Etho chuckled a bit at the memory. That had been so long ago. Before the trip, before the note, before anything. What an odd set of circumstances to lead them back here.

"I heard you and Bdubs finally got together, yes?" Etho nodded.

"Yeah we did! We're actually on our way to meet up with him right now."

"Wonderful!" Keralis seemed to ponder for a moment, "Mind if I join you? I seem to find your new friend here quite fascinating." Keralis chuckled and Xisuma blushed a bit. Etho smiled. He picked up on the cue.

"Of course! More the merrier." Keralis smiled.

"Thank you! Is that alright with you X?" Xisuma nodded, clearly excited to be able to spend the day getting to know this stranger. Etho smiled. 

"Then it's settled. Join us on our adventure! But first, ice cream?" Keralis nodded excitedly. 

"Yes please! Butter pecan." X's eyes widened. 

"You like butter pecan ice cream too? Everyone always says it's the old man flavor!" Keralis laughed. 

"People are crazy, it is clearly superior! I think I'm gonna like hanging out with you X." The two beamed at each other. Etho just smiled knowingly. 

Meanwhile, in a small apartment across town, Bdubs was doing some scheming.

"Hello? Ren?" Bdubs spoke into his phone as he paced around the room, "Me, Doc, Etho, and Etho's friend Xisuma are going out today. You wanna come with?... Yes Doc will be there.... Yes... I can pick you up.... We're meeting at two o'clock... yep!... ok, see ya then... Bye!" Bdubs smirked as he ended the call. Ever since he had started dating Etho, Bdubs had noticed how close Ren and Doc had gotten. If there was something there, Bdubs intended to get to the bottom of it. If he truly needed it, he'd get Etho and Grian involved. But he sort of guessed that they were probably already involved. After all, Grian couldn't keep his nose out of anyone's business.