Chapter 4

Walking along the gravel pathway towards the grove seemed to take longer than usual. Hearing the sound of tiny pebbles crunching under her boots as Emma approaches the tree line. She had just been here, yet this time it looks more beautiful than before. The branches from the tall oaks and maple trees swaying as the wind blows gently. The once smell of sweets from the bakery, now being over powered by the rich earthy and floral fragrances. Gripping the strap on her knapsack that is draped over her shoulder, Emma proceeds towards the trees and makes her way into the grove. Amazed as she looks around at the scenery she hadn't been paying attention to when she was in her before. Pausing for a moment, she closes her eyes and takes in a deep breath. The smell of the green earth surrounding her mixed with flowers and wet dirt. She can hear birds chirping off in the distance, singing a beautiful song as they perch high in the trees. A comforting feeling blowing over her as she takes in all of the grove. 

   Venturing further into the grove, the trees begin to take on a more magical appearance as the branches twist and turn up towards the sun, a beautiful blanket of moss covering them, with colorful flowers growing along the surface. Leaves on the trees varying from different shades of greens to pinks, reds and whites from flowers blossoming on them. The sunlight forcing its way through the thick canopy above, allowing rays to dance along the ground as the trees wave in the breeze. Scattered randomly, are mushrooms of different shapes and sizes. Bright red ones with white spots sticking out the most, some standing almost as tall as Emma. Others looking like brains or shriveled up grapes, not the vibrant looking type, but still fitting in with all the rest of the scenery. Looking up towards the sky, you can see different birds, butterflies and dragonflies zooming around. Almost like they are playing a game of tag. Emma is absolutely enchanted by the scene in front of her eyes, she almost forgets why she is there. Suddenly snapping back into reality, Emma begins to move along. Knowing that she needs to find water in order to find what she is looking for, she keeps walking in hopes to hear water crashing along a shore, or bubbling in a stream, which she heard neither. 

   Walking along, Emma reaches up and grips the necklace that her mother gave her before she left. Her mother has always done everything to keep Emma safe since she was little. Emma knew she was adopted, her mother never really said much about the subject though, almost like she was afraid to have the conversation. She did however, tell Emma all the time to be careful when going into the grove, with a sense of worry always lingering in her eyes. Emma stops for a second, reaching into her knapsack she pulls out a journal with a pencil tucked inside it. Writing down little notes inside of the different plants that she sees, describing everything around her so that she can tell Will all about it when she gets home. Excitedly she writes things down, taking in the beauty once again of the grove, not understanding why her mother would be so worried about her here. 

   "What was she so worried about?" Emma said aloud to herself as she walked deeper in. 

   The sky starts to darken as night approaches. Knowing this was a possibility, Emma gathers a few things while there is still enough light so that she can make a fire and have some form of protection for the night. Taking a few big branches with blanketed moss, she turns them into what looks like the roof of a house to protect her if it were to rain, for the most part at least. Taking a few rocks slightly bigger than her fist, she makes a circle on the ground and fills it with twigs and some dried moss that she found laying along the ground. Smashing a few stones together, Emma starts the dried moss on fire and places it underneath the twigs and soon she has a small fire to keep warm and give her some form of light for the evening. 

   The crackling of the fire mixed with the hooting of the owls, sent a calming feeling through Emma as she reached into her knapsack and pulled out the muffin. Breaking off a piece of the top, she plops it in her mouth. The sweetness being the first thing to hit her tongue, followed by the dryness. "These muffins must have been stale." she says before grabbing the jar of water and taking a swig to wash down the dry muffin. Sitting there, allowing the fire to create an illuminated light show along the floor of the grove. Turning the what was once a magical and beautiful scene, into a more mysterious and ominous one. The light from the fire casting shadows around the trees, making them wiggle and dance like creatures sneaking up. Taking her jacket, Emma grips it and brings it up to her chest. Almost as if she is using it as a shield. Backing up into the little roof like construct that she made, she watches the shadows carefully. A feeling that she is being watched suddenly rushes over her and she backs up as far as she can to completely hide herself, she lays down, holding her jacket over her, closing her eyes tight and hoping that morning comes fast.