7 | Stars Aligned

SeptemberBangalore, India

September
Bangalore, India

Aryan's POV

"Are you sure?" I questioned my mentor, Madhav Saha, who also happened to be my senior.

"Yes," he replied confidently, a familiar unreadable expression on his face. Understanding him was always a challenge, given the complexity of his thoughts.

"If you say so, sir," I responded, concealing my confusion with a slight smile.

"The papers might already be on your table. Fill them up and submit them. After that, there will be an examination followed by an interview. If you clear those, you might join the CBI," he explained calmly and resolutely. I nodded in acknowledgement.

Observing my contemplative expression, "I can see the wheels turning in your head. Tell me, what is it?" he inquired, realising the questions brewing in my mind.

"I'd like to understand the reason behind the transfer before proceeding," I admitted, seeking clarity.

He chuckled, recognising my unwavering nature. "You're still the same," he observed with amusement.

"Old habits die hard, sir," I replied, reciprocating with a warm smile.

My connection with Madhav Sir extended back to childhood. During a carnival, I had wandered off, oblivious to my parents' panic. He was the one who found me, fostering a lasting bond between our families. His influence subtly steered my career choice towards law enforcement.

"There's a long-time criminal we're after. Some officials involved in the case were compromised or resigned due to pressure. We need someone strong-minded and determined to get him executed."

"Executed?" I questioned, surprised by the extreme measure. Was the criminal truly that dangerous?

"I'll tell you more after discussing with others," he concluded, his gaze shifting to the clock. "You may go now. Take care, Aryan," he said, waving me off as he immersed himself in a file.

"You too, sir," I murmured, leaving his cabin and heading to the parking lot where my friend Akash awaited in his work attire

"Why the long face?" I asked my friend Akash, who was leaning on the bonnet of my car, waiting for me with a tired look as if he had carried himself till here with lots of effort.

"Long day," he replied, rubbing his face with exhaustion evident on his palms.

"Tell me about it," I said, unlocking the car. Akash took the passenger seat, and I settled into the driver's seat as we drove out of the parking lot into the silent streets. It was past 8 in the evening, and I decided to share with my friend the bride-hunting scenario that had started in my home today so we were headed to his home as he lived alone.

"There was this drug case filed on a popular sports person and I am representing her as her legal lawyer," Akash began, and I prompted him to continue with a hum.