DARKNESS | Chapter 18

I wouldn't have expected anything less.
- Unknown (again)

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

"Release us," Blake tries yet again, as we continue our trek the next day. "The consequences you face will not be as severe."

"Blake, shut up," Brayden says offhandedly, shoving him in the back to usher him along.

"You're going to regret that, Caulfield," he seethes.

"I've arrived at the conclusion that there is a strong possibility you have anger-management issues, Blake," I chime in, purposely giving him shit.

"I hate you Bryant."

"We established that the moment we met. You know, it's not healthy to be so full of hatred and anger all the time."

"Don't counsel me."

"I do admire the way you attempt to continue to seem threatening, even when you have no control over the situation whatsoever."

"Bryant, I'm warning you-"

"Consider me warned."

"And I thought he hated me," Kale murmurs beside me,

"You've got nothing on me," I assure him, smiling. My smile drops when I look to Kale's face to see his eyes blindfolded and unable to meet my own. His cheeks are red from exertion and a thin layer of sweat has formed on his forehead.

"Drink break," I announce.

"Since when did you give the orders?" Brayden teases.

"Since I observed that most of us look like we could drop dead from dehydration at any moment."

Each of us retrieves our small water bottles, of which we keep refilling at the various streams along the way.

"Open," Brayden demands a second before he tips his water bottle onto Blake's mouth.

Water runs down Blake's face, more of it seeming to soak into his shirt than enter his mouth. The eldest brother splutters slightly as the water rushes ruthlessly.

"Brayden..." I say disapprovingly.

Brayden looks at me wearing an innocent expression, before rolling his eyes. "More?" He asks Blake.

Once again, Blake is given no time to respond before the water descends. This time, however, he is ready and manages to consume a large portion of it.

After satisfying my hydrative needs, I turn to Kale, water bottle in hand.

"I'm assuming you want some," I state.

"You talking to me?" He asks.

"Yeah, I'm talking to you. Open."

Carefully, I lift the rim of the water bottle to his lips and gently tip it up.

"Thanks," Kale breathes, managing not to spill much on his shirt. The same cannot be said for Blake, who stands with a completely drenched front. Brayden is smirking at him cruelly, Blake unable to see the gesture.

"How far?" Kale questions.

"Not long now."

"This is your last chance," Blake says, in a voice that is deadly-low. We've more than pushed him past his limit. "Release us."

"Forget it," Brayden says. "If you don't keep quiet, you get the gag. Capiche?"

"My time will come," Blake mutters, mouth seemingly turned down in a permanent frown. Brayden pushes him forwards, causing him to stumble slightly off-track and stagger into a tree.