DARKNESS | Chapter 1

Started: October 2014
Finished: January 2016

A/N: Welcome! This was my debut fantasy novel written a few years ago when I was quite young. Please bear with the writing, I've improved a lot since then!

____________________

'What defines us is how well we rise after falling.'

- Unknown

______________

CHAPTER ONE

A knock on my front door draws me from my thoughts, breaking the blanket of silence that had descended within the house. A frown forms on my face as I set my laptop to the side, my heart slamming against the confines of my chest.

Any unexpected presence has put me on edge ever since my parents encountered him on that fateful day twelve years ago. They might not be around anymore, but he still is. And in the depths of my mind, I've always been terrified of his return.

Every time one of my friends would knock on my door to visit, I would react the same way; rapid pulse, twisting stomach, heightened senses. It was almost instinct now.

I run my fingers through my long dark ponytail and pull my jacket tighter around me. Momentarily, my eyes dart to the baseball bat set against the wall near the door- my precautionary weapon, should any visitors prove unpleasant. Should he make a reappearance.

The knock comes again, louder this time; more like a banging sound.

They've given me, what? Five seconds. They're clearly unaware of how hypoactive I am.

Pulling the hood of my jacket over my head, I brace myself for the cold I know will come as soon as I open the door. Damn whoever this is.

My partially warm hand grips the cold metal of the door handle, and turns it in a clockwise direction. As expected, a gust of cold air blows in, completely defeating the purpose of having the heater on for the past hour.

I freeze.

Unexpectedly, it isn't from the cold; but a different reason entirely.

He is standing right there. Right in front of me. After all these years, we finally meet face-to-face.

He's found me.

My eyes meet his dark brown ones; so dark, they appear almost black. They glint maliciously in the dull lighting, almost delightfully.

And that scares the absolute shit out of me.

This very moment is the epitome of my nightmares. The possibility of coming face-to-face with him has left me glancing over my shoulder time and time again. I haven't felt safe since my parents died, but I never thought seeing him again would feel quite like this.

My thoughts are an illogical whirlwind inside my mind, and all I can do is stand there and stare at him despite my suppressed instinct to put as much distance between myself and him as possible.

Recognition dawns in his eyes, a sadistic grin curling up the corners of his lips. And then, almost as suddenly as it had begun, I snap out of my trance.