DARKNESS | Chapter 2

'Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.'

- Victor Hugo.

____________

CHAPTER TWO

          The pair of eyes moves a step closer, its attention never once straying from us. Unnervingly, it doesn't even spare a blink.

          Staying put, with the knowledge that it's only getting closer, is one of the most difficult things I've ever done. Every fibre in my body urges me to leg it, and yet logic informs me that would be a horrendous mistake.

          A low growl issues from the creature as it takes another step forward, its four-legged silhouette now visible by the fire.

          Brayden curses under his breath. "They're Ash's hounds."

          Well fuck.

          Slowly, I begin to stand to my feet, my own eyes remaining locked on the threat. Brayden joins me, complete silence descending upon the situation.

          "Harper, I need you to stay calm."

          It's only as he says the words that I become aware of my short, ragged breaths and sprinting heart rate. With a slight nod, I focus on calming myself down- a difficult task, when a pair of very inhuman eyes has you pinned under its gaze.

          "They can't be far behind. We need to move, now."

          "There's no way we can outrun them."

          "Who said anything about running?" Brayden's eyes scan the forest around us, as though he can see something through the haze of darkness not penetrated by the light of the fire.

Another pair of eyes pops into view. Panic begins to take root. The reality of the situation makes me feel sick to the stomach.

"There's a tree over there with a few low-hanging branches. Do you see it?"

         20 ft away. It feels way too far in our current predicament. Despite this, I force myself to nod.

          "When I say, you run."

          "What about you?" A feeling of panic begins to take hold inside of me. With each passing second, it becomes harder and harder to restrain the urge to bolt towards home.

Only I know I'd never get there in time.

          "Just trust me."

          Brayden's eyes hold mine, and I surprise myself when I realise that I do subconsciously trust him, even after such a short time. He's saved my life once; why would he be leading me into a trap now?

          Too nervous to speak, I merely nod.

          "Okay, ready-"

          A whistle issues from the darkness. The hounds stop growling, tearing their eyes away from us for the first time. Moments later, a figure steps out of the shadows.