Chapter Two

Sofia woke to the smell of coffee.

Her body moved on autopilot, sore, cramped feet taking her to the kitchen. She didn't see anything through a murky haze in the air, just the brown coffee cup, steaming and pulsing heat. She grabbed it with two hands, downed it in three gulps. The warmth came immediately, and the surf receded.

That's when she saw Kelsey leaning against the counter. She was wearing her stupid windbreaker, too colourful for this dingy house, and a dull brown and green striped sweater beneath. She looked bulky, like she could be hiding any number of things under all those layers. Her abundant curls were stuffed under a beanie, the kind fishermen wore that didn't even cover their ears. It made hers stick out in a way that would have been cute if it was anyone but her.

When Sofia met her eyes, she saw they were shining, her excitement suddenly palpable. "I knew I'd find you here," she said.

"You followed me?" Sofia wiped at her mouth, savouring the residual heat from the coffee.

"I didn't follow you," Kelsey said, peevish now. "I woke up this morning and you were gone. I guessed this is where you would go, so." She grabbed a paper bag Sofia hadn't noticed on the counter, opened it. "I also brought breakfast sandwiches."

The smell of egg hit Sofia's nose and she choked on a gag. "No thanks," she said.

Kelsey frowned. "Sofia, you haven't eaten in..." she pressed one finger to her lip. "Well, I really don't know how long it's been. I know you don't feel well, but sometimes I don't feel well and I think I have to puke but then when I eat something I don't feel like that anymore. It's strange, I guess, that hunger can make you feel nauseated sometimes, but it happens, and I really think it will do you some good to get something in your stomach and–"

Sofia snatched the bag from her hand just to shut her up. She hadn't seen Kelsey get the food, couldn't say she hadn't done anything to it between the diner and here, but she already drank the coffee, and that would have been easier to poison anyway. She took a big bite of a ham and egg biscuit, closing her eyes against a wave of dizziness.

"You don't look so good." Kelsey's hands grabbed her elbows, the warmth welcome, guiding her to the lopsided table in the corner. "Sit."

Sofia sat. The world shifted back into focus around her.

Kelsey sat too, unfortunately, and at the far side of the table, even more unfortunately.

"I'm glad I found you okay," Kelsey continued rambling, as she always did. "When I didn't see you, I checked the bathroom, but of course you weren't there. I thought maybe my dad found you and threw you out, but he was just his normal level of grouchy this morning. I didn't see any shoes missing at the door, and the thought of you out there, in the cold, barefoot, it was just..." She shook her head, curls bouncing. "This was my last, or really only, hope, finding you here. I'm glad I did." She beamed a smile.

"You were worried and yet you stopped for food." Sofia spoke around the bite of sandwich still in her mouth. She couldn't bring herself to swallow it, tucked it into her cheek with her tongue instead.

"I came here first. You were out cold, so I figured I had time to get you some breakfast. And I knew you'd be hungry." Kelsey did another one of her signature shrugs.

"I'm not, though," Sofia dropped the sandwich onto the table, taking pleasure in the way Kelsey frowned.

She shook her frown away quickly. "You liked the coffee, so I'm taking this as a win."