23: Set the Date

"Stop fidgeting

"Stop fidgeting." Mom elbowed my left rib, shooting pain into my side.

I grunted and clenched my stomach, pulling at my collar's strangulation. "I can't help it." I tugged to no slack. "It's too small."

"We should go shopping," she murmured. "Or, I'll just measure your fat neck and order new shirts. And pants, because you either had another growth spurt or are ready for a flood."

"Works for me, but my neck's not fat." I looked down at my pants, which ended two inches above my shoe.

We stood inside Santa Cruz County's Superior Court office. I wasn't sure what Mom said to Dad to convince him to sign my name change forms, but he texted me to ask if I was sure, I said a hundred percent yes, and he signed them. Thinking about the possible reasons why was too painful, so I focused on appreciating him not being resistant for once.

"What's this?" Mom snapped Paige's hairband on my wrist. "Did a girl give this to you?"

"Uhh, a friend gave it to me." I pulled the end of my dress shirt over the purple band.

"For good luck today? How sweet." Before I corrected her, she smiled. "I'm glad you're making friends."

"Yeah." I crossed my arms, tucking Paige's hair tie under my heated armpit. My palms were sweaty, and a long line stretched behind us. Thanks to Mom getting me up at the butt crack of dawn, we waited sixth in over two hundred people. Most yawned or sipped coffees, but nerves were enough to keep me awake.

I was doing this, becoming a Hightower. Mom was very quiet this morning, and I wasn't sure how to feel. I wasn't excited or happy, but changing my name felt like the right decision.

"Next?" A short woman with black hair and glasses waved us to the information desk.

"You're sure about this?" Mom asked as we approached. I nodded, so she handed the forms to the desk clerk. "We're here for a name change request, please."

The woman took the forms and my license, which she photocopied and returned. "There's a five-hundred-dollar fee. Are you able to pay it today?"

Mom swayed on her feet and gasped. Having read the website and instructions many times, I took out my debit card. I didn't have much money in my bank account, but I'd saved Christmas and birthday money for a long time. I wasn't happy or proud as the woman charged my card, and I signed the paperwork.

"Here's these for your records." She gave me a stamped copy. "You'll get an assigned court date in two to three weeks. Your papers include the court summons information. Don't lose them. Call the evening before to verify your appearance hasn't been rescheduled, using the confirmation number on page two. Everything seems in order, but we'll contact you for any changes."

"Thank you," I said.

My shoulders and chest felt lighter leaving than when we arrived, but Mom didn't smile until she signed me into the school office. Her eyes filled with unspoken thoughts, but she only gave me a sad smile and wished me a good rest of my day.