27: Busted

I couldn't tell my parents the truth about Brody

I couldn't tell my parents the truth about Brody. Not because I was confused or wanted to lie, but because of the phone call Mom got before he arrived at the bakery.

While Morgan was having dinner at a friend's house, she missed taking her glucose reading because she was embarrassed about pricking her finger. Without knowing her blood sugar had spiked, she almost passed out on her plate. Her friend's mom called here, and Mom walked them through Morgan giving herself the insulin shot.

Mom excused herself to pick up Morgan, leaving Dad furious. Angry he couldn't control the situation, and angry it was easily preventable. Type 1 diabetes placed a lot of responsibility was placed on Morgan's shoulders. Maybe too much for her age.

In a moment of panic, I pulled Brody's mom aside, confessed everything in a hushed whisper, and asked her not to tell my parents. She looked like it wasn't the best decision, but given the drama, I kept my mouth shut and said Brody was a friend.

Despite Morgan being fine, the residual panic when Dad and I arrived home showed the less my parents knew about my life, the better. They dropped interest in Brody, but my peace only lasted for three nights.

"Wow." Xavi's eyebrows raised. "Your boyfriend has a fire lit under his ahh-cleats tonight."

A clattered metal sound erupted over the radio. Dad's idea to broadcast away games over the bakery sound system pulled in a few customers.

"Buh-boyfriend?" Mom gasped.

If it weren't for the absolute shock on her face, I would've giggled at her blanketing the floor. Almond flour shot in every direction from where she stood at the prep table.

Dad rushed out of his office, palming the wall. "What's wrong? Anyone hurt?"

"Paige has a boyfriend!" Mom palmed her hips, spreading flour handprints on her apron.

Dad's jaw dropped. The hums of interest around the lobby sent me to the back.

Morgan turned from the dishes. "Ooh," she teased.

"Shut up, Morgan."

"No one's shutting up here." Dad pointed at me. "Especially you. Boyfriend?"

My heart jumped into my ears. I hugged my elbows and glared at Xavi's loose lips. What was he thinking?

"Uhh...boy friend. A boy who's a friend. A friendly boy." His recovery was terrible. "Definitely not—"

"Stop talking." I pinched his arm.

"Brody? You said you were friends." Mom circled a hand around her bangs. "The tall one? A little skinny and hair all poofy in the front. Brown eyes."

I nodded, although poofy wouldn't have been my first choice of words. Technically, Brody was only a friend. Given the reasons why he was my fake boyfriend, I hoped to lump this development into the same black hole of secrets my parents wouldn't find out.