Ch 11 Planning Ahead

Alias' POV:

My heart raced as I darted back to my hideout, the thrill of discovery coursing through my veins. After all this time, I've found Sinai, and now one more remains! If I knew where to find her, it'd be much easier. Oh well, I can wait a little longer. Where should I look first? Hmm, maybe it's in a city somewhere.

The last gem to find has been in a place I hadn't considered. Gems. Ruby. I should really talk to her. I know I told her I knew her mother, but I never said how. She must want answers, then. Maybe I should go out and find her, but I don't have the green light to tell her anything just yet. Maybe I should taunt her? No, that would just make her mad. Summer's anniversary is nearing soon, so she must be a little off right now, and I told her I knew her mother must be throwing her off. Now that I've finally encountered her, I need to keep my promise, but how can I hold her attention? Hmmm, she already knows I know Summer, and that's what she wants to find out, but if she's so desperate to find out about her mother, she might just ignore me afterward if I give her what she wants. How do I make her interested in wanting to see me after she has all of her answers? I can't tell her about my promise because it's serious, but...oh wait, I think I know how to hold her attention.

After setting my trap, I returned to the city to deal with the mutants. Those little cockroaches are going to get squashed! I was about to enter the city when I started to feel hungry. Man, I want food, but after that incident with the restaurant and the huntsmen going to get food, it is now an issue for me. Wait a minute. If people in the city saw me, they and the nearby towns would label me a threat!

Which is understandable.

Oh man, no one will listen to me and what I have to say if I continue being branded as a threat. And that means Ruby and her friends won't listen to me either. I need to find a way to clear my name and fast, or this will only make things worse, not to mention the entire military seeing me as a threat; maybe if I can find some way to show them what happened, that could change things.

Even if I do, some eyewitnesses and people exaggerate things, so even if I do tell the truth, the authorities will side with the voices of the people rather than hear the truth from me! Why is bias stronger than truth?

I reached the city and landed in a quiet park. It had benches, a sandbox, and a pond where birds happily flapped. As I walked around, a ball hit my foot. I looked to see a baby crawling over to me.

"I'm sorry," said a kind voice. A woman with blonde hair ran up to me and grabbed her child. "He loves his ball, but he loves to throw it more."

"It's fine," I said, handing her the ball back

"Thank you. Come on, baby, let's go play over here."

The woman and her baby moved to another part of the park as I sat there and tried to think. After a while, I got bored, so I decided to walk. I made my way out of the park when I heard a woman scream.