Chapter 13: Dawn of realization

"Talk now, for God's sakes Anntonia!" Ruru told her as he glared at her with his mouth pressed into a thin line. His eyes widened and nodded his head toward the phone in her hand.

But she shook her head with a helpless expression, still clutching the phone, still surprised that Michelle answered it without a labored breath or a woman giggling in the background. All she could hear is the rushing sound, like a rain and street noises and cars around.

She saw Ruru rolled his eyes and leaned forward, grabbing her arm and lifting it so that the phone met her ear.

"Talk." He commanded.

"D-d-dani?" Was all that came out in her mouth, and after she said it, she clamped her mouth shut and glared at the guy in front of her.

"Thanks," she mouthed at him. She was already looking like an idiot and Michelle hadn't even said anything yet from the other line.

Toowns? Hello? Are you there? Said the most familiar voice. The sound of it was enough to make her want to do back flips. She felt her muscles tensed, her stomach rumbled as her heart thumped hard against her chest.

"Y-Yeah," she said softly, twirling a strand of long hair between her fingers. "A-Are you okay?" She asked, the genuine concern was too evident in her voice.

***

The corner of Michelle's lips lifted into a smile at the thought that the woman didn't sounded like she hate her. Because all she could hear is that softness that tells her that she still cared enough to worry about her wellbeing.

"I'm fine," she answered in almost a whisper. "How about you?"

The other line went silent for a moment before she heard a sigh that reassured her.

"I'm fine. Great. Where are you?"

The question made Michelle looked up for the first time since she'd answered the call and her eyes met a pair of brown orbs that swept her off her feet. She saw the shock registered on the face of the woman standing only a few meters away and it only took her a millisecond to realize that it was Samantha.

"Michelle?" The woman called as she craned her neck to get a closer look at her. "Is that you?"

Dani? Are you still there? Is everything okay? She heard Anntonia's worried voice over the phone.

Michelle's breath hitched in her throat, lost in the predicament she was in and didn't know what to do. For a moment, she just stood still from where she was standing until she felt her feet move and walked closer to the flower shop, closing the few meters of space that were left between her and Samantha. And at the same time, she pressed her phone harder into her ear, ignoring the pain that's bubbling inside her heart.

"Toowns, I have to go," she said, breathless. "I'll call you back. I promise."

She didn't wait for Anntonia to respond, and only snapped the phone shut and then looked back up to Samantha. The woman she was chasing was right in front of her now, her mouth open in disbelief.

"You are the same Michelle I think you are, right?" Samantha asked, her eyes never leaving hers. "From Makati?"

"Right. It's me."

"Oh my God.... What are you doing here? Is it for work? You never mentioned anything about that when we talked." She asked, taking a step back. "I didn't think I'd ever see you again."

Michelle flushed red for a moment and shrugged her shoulders.

"I know. I thought the same thing until I..." she trailed off and looked down at her feet, a small smile filling out her lips. "Oh God... this may sounds so stupid now."