Chapter 13

As the weekend unfolded and a new day revealed its charm, I made the decision to rejoin college after a three-week break for healing. Stepping onto the familiar college grounds, I couldn't escape the sense of every student's gaze fixed upon me. While being a subject of attention was nothing new for me, this time it felt slightly different. There was a shift in the way everyone looked at me.

Whispers floated around as our peers exchanged comments, "Thank god, she finally overcame the heartbreak," "Alex was a bastard, he played with her heart," and "She is very kind-hearted. We misunderstood her earlier. She didn't report the police about the bitch, Nancy; otherwise, that bitch would be behind the bars. She let karma decide Nancy's own action." The air buzzed with a mix of sympathy, judgment, and acknowledgment, casting a spotlight on the chapters of my life that were now laid bare for scrutiny.

Suddenly, like a burst of sunshine, Olivia leaped before me, her eyes gleaming with excitement. Iris and Jordan followed suit, creating a warm cocoon of welcome around me. "Hey, Emily! Welcome back to college. How are you right now? We heard everything from Jordan," she exclaimed, her voice filled with genuine concern.

"I'm fine right now, and a big thanks to Jordan for saving me at that moment. I won't forget your contribution," I replied, my eyes expressing the depth of gratitude. Amidst the welcoming chatter, I discreetly scanned the surroundings for Sheldon, but he remained elusive. I hesitated to inquire, fearing the barrage of questions that might follow.

Iris, perhaps sensing my thoughts, interjected, "You know, Emily, the news of that night's incident spread across the university like wildfire. People were talking about you three. Some even organized a voting session for you and Nancy. Fortunately, you garnered the maximum votes. Subsequently, the college decided to rusticate Nancy for her fatal actions and suspended Dan for three months. I also heard that Nancy moved out of the city to her hometown." I responded with a nonchalant smirk, signaling that I was unperturbed by the gossip.

Olivia, displaying the seasoned wisdom of a senior, held my hands with genuine concern. "In my opinion, Emily, you should break up with Alex; he's a damn bastard who just used you."

"Yeah, you are right, Olivia" I nodded in agreement, acknowledging the sincerity in her eyes and the weight of her advice.

"Anyways, bye. I have to go; I have to find out where Jessica is. See you soon," I excused myself, concealing the true reason—my quest to locate someone else.

As I hurried through the corridor, my fingers typed out a message to Jessica, 'Should I really face him?' The question hung in the air as uncertainty clung to my thoughts. Lost in contemplation, I suddenly collided with someone, my eyes meeting the chest of none other than the mysterious soul I had been searching for—Sheldon. "Oh... um... sorry... sorry for that," I stammered, caught off guard by the unexpected encounter.

"Oh... it's okay," he replied, locking his eyes on mine. We found ourselves caught in a brief but intense gaze, lingering in the silence for two awkward seconds.

"Th... thanks... a lot, for that night, for carrying me to my home, safely. I don't know what would have happened to me if I stayed there for one more minute," I added, expressing my genuine gratitude.

"It's okay, it was my duty towards you," he responded, the unwavering eye contact sending a shiver down my spine. His words, like honey, had a subtle impact on the atmosphere.

What did he say? His duty towards me? What is the fucking duty? Why would he have a duty towards me? Who am I to him?

"And, so... sorry for the craziest things I have done or said to you when I was drunk. Don't let them linger in your mind. Forget them, forget everything," I continued, my words slightly stumbling as I realized I was speaking more than I had intended.