Chapter 15

As the sun marked its presence in the sky, casting a warm glow over the college grounds, we arrived for another routine day. Everything unfolded in the usual manner, yet beneath the surface of the mundane, a current of excitement pulsed through me in anticipation of the upcoming night. The prospect of meeting Sheldon outside the confines of the college for the second time filled me with a unique joy.

The first time we crossed paths, I was broken and inebriated, unable to fully appreciate his company. Now, having overcome my struggles, my feelings for him had deepened. Wherever and whenever we met, it became a special moment for me—his presence acting as a healing potion to my soul.

However, this particular day, the 21st of October, held an unexpected twist. Mrs. Stanley, the soothing purveyor of literary romanticism and the unintentional bridge between Sheldon and me, was on leave. The absence of her class meant I wouldn't have the opportunity to sit beside him. It felt like a stroke of misfortune on a day that was otherwise charged with anticipation.

As the hours drifted by, I scanned the college premises in vain for a glimpse of Sheldon or his friends, Olivia and Jordan. The trio seemed to be immersed in preparations for tonight's party, leaving me without even a fleeting encounter.

The afternoon unfolded lazily in the nearly silent cafeteria. Most students were engrossed in their studies, preparing for impending exams. Jessica, now the social butterfly of our circle, was engrossed in conversation with her newfound boyfriend on a phone call. I, on the other hand, sought solace in the pages of a crime novel, a familiar refuge that now felt a bit monotonous.

My whole life went reading these fucking crimes and finding the thousands of murder clues, and now I was feeling a bit bored reading these same expected climaxes.

"Hey, Jess, I have to go, to the library" I announced, rising from my seat and leaving Jessica to her chatter with a sense of restlessness. It felt like reading a different genre could help me to uplift my mood and escape from boredom.

I climbed the stairs to the vast library of our college. Inside, the quiet atmosphere surrounded me as studious scholars delved into their academic literature. On the other hand, I was finding something like dark romances to entertain myself, instead of studying for exams.

My rebellious spirit, however, led me on a different path—I sought the darker allure of romance within the library's shelves.

The romance section beckoned with its array of new adult romances, romantic comedies, and much more. It marked my first venture into this particular corner of the library, where each book cover illustration and title seemed to captivate my eyes, leaving me torn on which one to choose. As I reached for a book with an alluring dark adult theme and an intensely adulterated book cover, a deep and familiar voice disrupted my focus, whispered out my name behind my shoulder, "Hey, Emily"

Startled, the book slipped from my grasp to the ground as I turned to face him—Sheldon. 

"So, the queen of crimes and murders falls for romances?" he quipped with a smirk playing on his lips.

"S-Sheldon, you scared me," I confessed. "I was just looking for something different, a change of taste, you know?"

He smirked; the sarcasm evident on his face. "Oh, then I should leave you to your 'taste-changing' content."

"No, wait," I hurriedly replied. "It's not what you think. Can you please help me find something good in this section? I have no idea about all these things."

A mischievous glint flickered in his eyes as he agreed to assist me. "Come with me," he said, leading me to the end of the section dedicated to classic romance novels while scanning them.