𝕎𝕙𝕪 𝕞𝕖? - 𝕆𝕟𝕖

𝓛𝓪𝓲𝓷𝓮

"Bye!" I shouted to my friend. We just got finished with Bible study and I was in the happiest mood. I wish it lasted longer though. As soon as I walked through the door of the house I couldn't hear a thing.

"Dad?" My shouting echoing slightly through the hall.

I took my shoes off and walked into the living room. There I saw my dad waiting for me.

He looked tired yet serious. I was getting worried as he never looked this serious before. "What's wrong, dad?" I asked.

He was silent before he stated: "Get dressed in something nicer, we have somewhere to be."

Now I was really worried. "Why?" I asked. "And how come you didn't answer my question?" He turned to face me and took a deep breath before calmly saying something that made the world go silent.

"We are going to meet your soon to be husband."

I couldn't move after what I heard. "HUSBAND!?" I screamed after a few minutes. "What in the world do you mean by 'husband'!?

"I mean you are engaged now so hurry up because we are running out of time." He demanded anxiously.

"No! Not until I get a clear explanation on why I'm all of a sudden engaged in the time span of a few hours!" I shouted angrily.

He looked at me with sad eyes. "They were threatening to sue us for everything we had." He said.

"Who is 'they' and why do they want to sue us!?"

He took a deep breath before quickly explaining, "I got myself into a mess a year ago that you never knew about. This mess almost cost us my job, my savings, and the house. But an old friend came in and offered to help at the price of wife for her son."

A year!? I thought to myself. This deal was made a year ago and he never told me!?

I stood in shock.

"How could you just marry me off like this? I'm your daughter!"

"I-I mean this is by far one of the worst things you've ever done!" I shouted

"Laine, I had no choice!" He shouted back.

But dad I can't marry some random man for you! You know I'm waiting on the Lord's timing!" I shouted at my father.

"What am I gonna do if he ends up being a creep!? Or worse, not a man of God?"

I tried to defend myself but he didn't care. I watched him walk out of the room still in shock.

My eyes welling up with tears as I began to think about what my future husband would be like..

I stormed up to my room, the tears spilling before I even reached the door.

I threw my bag against the wall as I crumpled to the floor. How could he do this? I thought to myself. He knows that this isn't the Lord's plan. And to think he's know this for a year!

The tears wouldn't stop. I couldn't control them so instead I let them all out.

I wasn't a stranger to my dad doing stupid things, but this takes the cake.

I looked up after a few minutes and looked at a Bible verse on my wall. It stated:

"𝑩𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒙𝒊𝒐𝒖𝒔 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒊𝒏 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒃𝒚 𝒑𝒓𝒂𝒚𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒔𝒖𝒑𝒑𝒍𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏, 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒌𝒔𝒈𝒊𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝒍𝒆𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒓𝒆𝒒𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒎𝒂𝒅𝒆 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒏 𝒕𝒐 𝑮𝒐𝒅;"

𝑷𝒉𝒊𝒍𝒊𝒑𝒑𝒊𝒂𝒏𝒔 4:6

I thought about it for a moment. Then I sat up, bowed my head, and prayed.

"Jesus, I ask that you comfort me in my times of hardships. I put my life and trust in you. Thank you.. in your name I pray .. Amen."

I got up and dried my eyes before walking to my closet.

I picked out a light green long skirt, and a sage green turtleneck to go with it. After, I put on my nicest shoes, did my hair, my necklace with my favorite Bible verse on it (Romans 8:38-39).

I did a check in the mirror as I prayed one more time, and walked out the door.

A/N: Hi! This is my first story, so let me know if there are any mistakes or anything I need to improve on! Thanks for reading and make sure to stay updated! <3